Chapter Six

Everything was moving so fast, or was everything moving slow? I have no idea, I was too frozen in my spot to know if everything was even real. Before I knew it the ambulance was already leaving and the crowd cleared. Then I wasn't frozen, I was running, sprinting out the gates of the school. I was never good at walking especially running but lately these days I've had to run quite a bit. I new exactly where the hospital was, I've been there once before the first time this happened to Jordan. Only a half a mile away next to the other office buildings downtown. I wasn't even sure if I was breathing, I was in fact sweating, a lot. I ran through the automatic entrance doors and my body hit against the front desk of the emergency room. 

'Please tell me Jordan Fish isn't here' I gasped breathing rapidly. The lady seemed shocked, probably thinking that I was the one in need of medical attention not that I was actually looking for a patient. This might be a common thing actually.
'You mean the young boy? He was admitted a few minutes ago.' I nodded throughout her sentence.
'Yes! Yes, him. Is he ok? I need to see him!' I spoke quickly still out of breath.
'I'm sorry sweetie, but he's being assisted right now and we cannot allow him visitors. You may wait in our break room' she said sweetly.
I crossed my arms on the desk and laid my head on them, breathing deeply. After my heavy breathing subsided I plopped down on one of their uncomfortable chairs. I had no choice but to call his host parents. Their going to lose their shit, this is thhe second time and worse. I took the blame for everything and lost count on the number of times I apologized to them, I mean her.
I only was able to call the mother of the home, I could hear her worry and her voice started to crack and it just made me start to cry. They were both at work and wouldn't be able to leave for another hour, including traffic.

I heard the lady at the desk call for me and I shot up right away not wasting a second. I didn't even let her finish her sentence, all I needed was the room number and I was off. I ignored all the glares and comments from the nurses, there was no way in hell I was slowing down. I even slipped when I passed his door, and I was once again out of breath. There he was. I was so silent I could only hear his shallow breaths and the machine beeping. He was unconscious, I just looked at his pale face and I could feel my heart shattering. This is all my fault, he didn't deserve this. All he's done is stand up for me, he's the only one whose ever done that and look where that's got him. I sat in the chair across the room from him, and the exhaustion started to catch up with me.
-
I was woken up 3 hours later by Mrs. Berkley, one of Jordan's host parents. She told me that the doctor said he had been out on anesthetics, he had three broken ribs, a broken arm and a concussion. She kept asking if I had any idea what happened, I told her all I knew and it wasn't enough.
I stayed over night, Mrs. Quinn didn't mind since it was a Friday and Mrs. And Mr. Berkley were very appreciative since they had work on Saturday as well.
He woke up around 8 to 9 am, and I of course rushed to his side, puking out apologies over and over.
'Shut up.' he said sounding tired and a little frustrated with me, I closed my mouth immediately. Did he hate me? I wouldn't blame him, I hate me too.
He sat up as much as he could and obviously in a lot of pain, then looked at me sternly.
'This is not your fault.' He placed his hand on my shoulder, the one that wasn't broken and pushed me to sit on the side of the bed before continuing.
'I would rather have me get hurt than you, you didn't do this pricks at school did.' he tried to reassure me. 
'What did they do?' I asked cautiously.
'They jumped me in the hall, like five guys and dragged me into the bathroom. They just fucking kicked me and slammed my head against the toilet and I don't remember much after tha-" I cut him off by hugging him then quickly letting go once I heard him gasp in pain.
'I'm so sorry they did that to you' my voice barely a whisper. 
'Luckily a dude walked in and found me but, I'm fine. Really.' I looked down at the hospital sheets.
No he wasn't, he's not fine at all. I wish I wasn't so weak and useless, I wish I could help.