the night sirius ran away and showed up at the potters'

when james woke up half an hour before sunrise, it was because the small pebbles knocking on his window were replaced by whole brick, causing the glass to shatter and spread across the floor.

at first he was confused and scared because there was a war going on and his father was a well-known auror.

but the gryffindor in him won and james found himself slipping on his slippers and walking through the glass —

and he heard it. he suddenly heard a laugh and instantly recognised who was standing in his backyard before he even looked down.

because fuck, fuck, fuck,

it was sirius' laugh,

not his normal laugh, but the laugh james despised listening to. the fake, bitter, over-enthusiastic, sadistic laugh.

the laugh james heard every time a howler exploded in the main hall. the laugh james heard last year after sirius left the hospital wing because remus refused to see him because of the prank. the laugh james heard when regulus slammed sirius against the wall, one day, and whispered something in his ear before leaving, and james couldn't chase after regulus for the same reason sirius allowed him to push him against the wall like that. because sirius didn't have it in him when it came to his little brother.

james rushed out of his room, ignoring the voice in the back of his head telling him that it could be a trap since he didn't see if it was sirius because the voice was wrong. james knew it was sirius.

but james wasn't completely right. the sirius lying on the grass in the garden had blood over his clothes, scratches all over his arms and neck, and bruises over his cheeks and collar, and his lips were bleeding down to his chin.

sirius wasn't a beaten teenager who lay under the open sky, with tears in his eyes and blood in his grinning mouth. sirius wasn't like this. except he was, sometimes.

as soon as sirius saw james, he started hysterically laughing that laugh, whilst crying,

and james did nothing other than wrapping up himself around sirius and kissing his hair and hugging him until the tears and loudness stopped.

he didn't know how or when, but james found himself waking up to the sounds of birds, with moist grass pressed to his cheeks and long, partly-burnt hair spread across his chest.

the second time he woke up, he was lying on a mattress on the floor of his living room, right next to a couch with a small, shaking body curled up on it,

he got up to drink water and found a note on the table,

"sirius and james, there are some fruits and milk on the stove so make sure to eat! avoid making tea or using the oven because you'll end up burning the house down. s, your dad and i are going shopping for new clothes because james' are too big on you, so we'll be back by nine p.m. love, mum and dad. xx"