His view

It was an exhausting day, there was too much work in the company today that Khalid didn't even take a break. Since he was promoted and became the head of IT department in the company, the scope of his duties got widened. And as a result he usually got in from work a bit late. He entered the front large hall which was divided into two full seating areas, and walked towards the one in his right, where all his family members usually gathered after dinner for watching TV and chatting. He glanced around to see his mother, holding the vacuum jug and pouring tea for everyone, his father was sitting in his usual armchair talking with Fahd who was sitting on one of the two facing sofas. Khalid took off his Shemagh and greeted; "Assalam Alikum"

As soon as they replied his greeting in unison, they continued whatever they were talking about before he arrived.

His mother approached him; "son, why are you late?"
"There was an urgent meeting and you know as a department head I had to attend." She smiled at him fondly and uttered some prayers for him to be blessed and under Allah's care always.

He put his Shemagh on the other long sofa and seated himself next to his sister, Huda.
"Shall I put your dinner?" His mother inquired.
"No. Mom I had eaten in my way. Thanks."

It seemed his father's topic had completely engrossed all his siblings' attention. He took the cup of tea his mother had offered to him before she sat next to Fahd.

Khalid looked at the large plasma screen that showed an interview with one of the famous football players, which had been ignored since no one was really watching. He took a sip from his tea, turning his attention back to the conversation of his family. He adverted his eyes from one to another, so that he could figure out what they were talking about. At last, it dawned on him that they were discussing something related to his uncle, Muhsen, the one who moved to the UK many years ago.

A few minutes later, his father rose up and addressed Huda; "prepare a place for her in your room" then he left wishing them a good night.

Khalid immediately turned to his sister, asking "Huda, what is going on?"

With excitement Huda jumped getting closer to his right and said; "that's a long story."

Curiosity took over him as he retorted, putting his cup down; "I'm listening"

"You remember uncle Muhsen?!" Khalid shook his head encouraging her to carry on; "he's sending his daughter to spend her holiday here..."

Khalid fidgeted in his seat without changing his position "where is HERE?" he asked, emphasizing the word "HERE", his brow furrowed.

"Here, in our house." Huda clarified, brushing a strand of her curly black hair away from her face.

As far as Khalid knew Muhsen had only one daughter called Fajr.

"Is she that one?" Khalid wandered wordlessly.

Huda broke his train of thought as if she was announcing his inner thoughts "her name is Fajr...", then she repeated what her father had just told them "Well, when uncle Muhsen came here 18 years ago with his daughter, she was only 7 years old. Maybe that's why I don't remember her. At that time grandpa didn't allow uncle to stay and couldn't forgive him for getting married to the British woman without his approval, therefore uncle Muhsen had to take his daughter and they returned to London."

Huda didn't need to tell Khalid all those details as he already knew that very well although he was only 12 years old. During that time only his father, Hassan, welcomed Muhsen in his house. So Muhsen and his little child spent that whole month in Hassan's place. He remembered there were those moments of his childhood with that little girl.

Khalid didn't pay attention to what else Huda was chattering as he already got distracted by his own thoughts.

With excitement Huda informed Khalid "I think dad and uncle have already planned this earlier, because she is arriving tomorrow!" But he interrupted her suddenly; "why is she coming?"

Huda pursed her lips with uncertainty then she said "hmm I don't know. Perhaps he is worried about her as she is his only child or maybe he wants her to be familiar with her country background and the culture..."

"Now? After 18 years! " Khalid ridiculed with a smirk on his face.

Confused at the hint of mockery in his voice, Huda questioned; "why not?"

Khalid stood up saying; "I think it's too late, the girl must have developed her own modern mindset by now."

Here Fahd their younger brother, joined their conversation for the first time saying; "Come on, Khalid. what's your problem?"

Khalid turned to look at Fahd and said in a serious tone; "my problem is that I can't stand those who abandon their own culture to adopt a western style of life. Then they come here to admire it and show us the big differences..."

Fahd interrupted him playfully: "man, think about it! we are having a western girl here in our house, can you imagine that? don't you think it's so exciting?!" Fahd winked mischievously at him.

Khalid gave Fahd a quick glance and ignored his "stupid" remark. As Fahd, in Khalid's words, behaved stupidly most of times.

"Fahd, will you behave please! she is not western, she is your cousin, you should treat her the way you treat Huda." The mother reminded Fahd and scolded him as she usual did so he huffed crossly. "Come on, mom. I was just kidding!"

"You don't know how those girls act in the west. Shortly after they arrive there, they start to adopt the western style in their clothes, manners or thoughts as if they don't belong to an Islamic society. Even some of them have boyfriends. Note that I'm talking about those who move there, now think about it when the girl was already raised up in such western society I think it's not proper to have her here. I don't understand why dad accepted that" Having had his say, Khalid stood up and walked away towards his room upstairs.

For Khalid it was frustrating! He thought that his grandfather was always right. "What are people going to say about us now when they see this foreigner in our house? I am sure she acts as a western girl and knows nothing about our culture or customs!" he murmured.