Chapter 1: Spike

"Heah!" You called as you kicked the sides of the animal you were riding. At the sound of your command the animal took off running. You were perched in a sadle on top of a tall black and white mare and you pulled at the reins telling the horse to turn left. You were taking the horse down a training path which gets animals acclimated and used to different surroundings. You continued down the path, using many verbal commands combined with tugging on the reins, to direct the mare through it. Her hooves made audible noises against the ground and periodically she would nay. As she ran you could feel the gental breeze of the summer day brushing against your face and blowing through your hair. When you came back to the starting point, you gave the horse a pat, and hopped off of the animal, leading her back to her pen in the stable.

You were an animal trainer and behaviorist, and you worked at these stables because of your emense love for horses. Your job here was to train the animals for riding and to desensitize shy, timid horses and socalize them so they were used to human interaction. Some of them were used in shows and agility contests, others became race horses and then some were adopted by family run farms. Other activities of your job were washing the animals, keeping the groomed, and making sure their hoover were taken care of. Occasionally you had to do paper work in the office. Horses were your favorite animal, and you loved being able to work with them everyday. It didn't even feel like a job anymore to you because you always had fun and enjoyed your time at the stables.

You walked the black and white mare back into her pen, and gave her a few sugar cubes for a job well done. She did perfectly on the training path and was well on her way to being something great.

"Hum... You need a name don't ya?" You said to the mare. She was a new arrival and nobody had given her a name yet. You looked at the horse while you tried to think of a suiting name. She was white with large black spots, which almost made her resemble a cow. She also had a long black and silver mane. "I think Silver would be perfect for ya." The mare neighed, as if to say she was in agreement with her new name. You laughed, giving her another pat of the head, and then walked out of her pen, closing the door behind you.

"Hey, [name]!" You heard someone call. You looked to your left, and saw your fellow co-worker, Drake standing next to the pen of his horse. You hurried over to him, curious as to what he wanted. Drake was the same age as you, and you two had become great friends. You both shared a love for horses, and looked forward to going to work when you woke up in the morning. Drake was taller then you by about three inches. He had short brown hair, and blue eyes. He had a very fun loving, thrill seeking personality, and also had a great sense of humor.

"Hey!" You greeted him. His horse poked his head over the gate of the pen. Drake owned a beautiful black stallion that he kept here at the stables. The stallions name was Lightning, on account of him being such a fast runner. Lightning was a very well behaved horse as well.

"How'd it go with the new mare?" Drake asked you.

"Oh she did great." You replied. "She didn't even hesitate when it came to the different terrain types."

"Haha! Sounds like she'll be a quick learner!"

"And hows Lightning doing?" You asked, looking up at the stunning black stallion.

"He's great." Drake answered. "He jumped a double hurdle today."

"That's awesome! You guys will be ready for the contest in no time!"

"We hope so!" Drake patted his horse. He and Lightning were training for an upcoming agility contest. Horses jump over hurdles, and followed specific paths while the rider directs them along the way. The top prize for the winner was a large sum of cash, plus other smaller items. "Hey... Did you hear about the odd horse, boss found?"