Chapter 2

"Does this horse belong to you sir?" You asked the black-haired man who was in the stable, as you watched him continue to pet the eight legged equine.

"Yes. I tracked him here, and now I intend to take him back."

"Woah, slow your roll there. You can't just take him." You informed. "You have to fill out certain forms, and provide a proof of ownership. You're going to have to come back tomarrow morning. Operating hours of the stabels end at 10pm." The man was about to speak, but you quickly inturupted him. "I do apologize but I am not in power to release this animal to you, and the boss has already left. If you want your horse back, you will have to comply with the rules."

The man was silent for a few moments before sighed and then responded, "...Very well then. I shall return."

"And I asure you sir, your animal is in safe hands."

He gave you a small nod, and then walked past you and out of the stable. The horse whined a bit as he left, almost as if he didn't want the man to leave. You walked over to him, and petted him. He calmed down soon enough, and you walked out of the stable and towards your car. You got in your vehicle, and made your way home for the night.

The nest day, when you returned to work, you found Drake standing near the office, talking to Boss.

"What's up?" You said as you approched the both of them. Boss looked at you, and you automatically noticed a worried look on his face. Obvious distress showed in his features, and apon seeing it, your face fell to a frown. "...What's wrong?"

Boss looked down at the ground, but then raised his head back up again. "I was just talking with Drake here, about why I had to leave so suddenly yesterday." He hesitated before he continued. "My wife's mother has been sick and... she uh... she died in the hospital yesterday afternoon..."

"Oh my... I... I'm so sorry." You said sympathetically.

"Carol was... pretty upset."

Silence hung in the air around you, and your whole mood changed. You couldn't even imagine the amount of stress and grief that his wife now had. Even though he was trying to be strong, he seemed quite shaken up too. He never talked about his mother in-law much, but he would mention her on random occassions, recollecting on funny things she had done or said. He always joked that he could write a whole comedy act on her, and it would be a sure hit.

"Daddy!" A girls voice sounded, breaking the silence. From out of the office, a little girl about the age of 8 or 9, with long blond ehair, ran up to your boss. "Daddy... Do I have to stay inside? It's boring." The girl was wearing shorts with a flowery design in the stitching, a pink t-shirt, and a headband with a pink flower which held back her hair. She had brown eyes, and looked like a typical "Daddy's girl"

Boss looked at both you and Drake. "Oh man... um. I hate to ask, but could you guys watch my daughter? She had to come with me today, because her mom is working out the funeral arangements with her reletives. I have a ton of paperwork to do today."

"Oh sure!" You agreed without question. Drake reluctantly nodded in agreement as well. He didn't particuarlly like little kids. It's not that he hated them or anything, it's just that he always felt nervous for their safety, and always became a bit paranoid when he was around them. You bent down so you were eye level with the child. "What's your name sweetie?"

"I'm Lilly!"

"Lilly, this is [name]" Boss said pointing to you, as his daughter looked up at him. He then pointed at Drake. "And this is Drake. They're going to keep and eye on you. Be good for them, alright?"