Chapter 9

When Thor returned to the small house, he found you asleep on one side of the couch, and Loki asleep on the other. He didn't want to wake either of you up, so he quietly walked into the one bedroom and slept in the bed for the night.

In the morning, you and Loki were both woken up by the sound of someone knocking on the door. You wanted to just lay there for a few minutes longer so you ignored the obnoxious sound. The knocks continued though, and the noise was quickly beginning to annoy you. You got up from the couch and walked to the door, opening it to reveal a male police officer standing there.

"Yes... Officer?" You said.

"Is someone by the name of..." He looked at a piece of paper he had in his hand. "Thor, here."

"Um... Yes." You replied. You suddenly began to get worried. "Is... Is there a problem?"

"No, miss" The officer said. "I just need to speak with him."

"Oh... alright." You did know whether to be relieved or to still be worried. The officer may have said that he only wanted to speak with Thor, but, you've watched your fair share of crime shows, and you know very well that they say that just so that the person they're after will come out. "Come in."

The policeman came in and you closed the door. You told him that you'd be back in a moment, and you then went to the bedroom to wake up Thor.

"Thor." You said, as you shook his shoulder. "Wake up."

"Hum? What is it?"

"There is a officer here who wants to talk to you."

"What? Why?"

"I don't know." You replied.

Thor got up from the bed and you both walked back into the main room. Loki had gotten up now, and the officer had taken a seat on the couch. He motioned for the two of you to sit down, and you both did. Before any of you could even say anything, the officer began to question Thor.

"Were you with a Mr. James Marshall last night at the bar?"

"Um, yes," Thor replied. "Is something wrong?"

"Would you say that Mr. Marshall was heavily intoxicated?"

"...Yeah. You could say that." Said Thor. The officer took a pencil out of his pocket and started writing on the small pad of paper he had.

The officer then continued to ask questions. "When Mr. Marshall left the bar, was he in a stable condition where he'd be able to get himself home?"

"No. He actually passed out when he was drinking."

"Is that so?" The policeman said, jotting that down on his notepad. "Do you know of how he got home?"

"No, I don't."

"Why exactly are you asking these questions?" Loki said.

"Sometime last night, James Marshall was found... dead."

That statement took you by great surprise. "Wh... What?! Y-You have to be kidding!"

"I'm not kiddin', miss."

"So he just... Died?"

"He didn't just die." The officer said. "... He was murdered."

What the officer had told you literally left you speechless. You couldn't believe that this had happened. Why did this even happen? This was not how things were supposed to go. James was supposed to live, and find the gold at the mill later in the day. What happened that changed that? How was history altered?