Chapter 10

"What exactly do you mean by Government conspiracy?" Thor asked you.

"The U.S. Government, like anything, is always subject to rumors." You said in reply. "Some rumors go so far that people begin to believe them to be true even though they have very little evidence to prove it. The rumors turn into conspiracies. In modern times, the conspiracy of time travel is largely debated, and even back in this time, there have been rumors of it."

"So what exactly does this mean for us?" Loki said.

"Well, time travel obviously exists, so the conspiracy must be true." You stated. "There are things that the government doesn't want us to know, so they keep it secret. The U.S. government has a time travel device. We just have to find it."

"Where would we find it though?" Said Thor.

"That's the problem. It could be many places, but, I do have a hunch that it would be stored at a military base. Somewhere with a lot of security."

"Do you know of such a place?"

"Hum..." You thought for a few moments, trying to reach farther into your memory and go through your history knowledge. "Maybe... I need to see a map. Is there a map in here anywhere?" You started looking around and you found a map of the area folded up inside the front cover of a book. You unfolded it, and then set it on the table. You studied the map for a few moments and then spoke again. "Alright, we're at Sutter's mill, which is in this general area right here." You said circling the area with your finger. "I remember reading something that said that there is possibly three secret underground military bases in the deserts of Nevada, over here. It'd be a good place to start." You folded the map back up and held onto it, because you knew that it could be useful later.

"That's over 400 miles we'd have to travel." Thor pointed out. "How ever are we to get there?"

"Damn." You said. "We can't ride the train due to our money issue. I guess the only option is to acquire some horses." You then looked over at Loki. "Horribly cruel irony, I know."

"Sounds like we have a plan." Loki said.

"Right. Now first things first, we need to find us some horses."

Back in town, all three of you were looking for the animals you needed, and easily found some that were being sold and rented. There was two horses in a pen and in front, a large man stood trying to talk another person into buying one. The salesman's efforts went without reward though as the customer just simply walked away. You, Loki and Thor were standing and looking from afar.

"Hum... The horses don't have all the riding equipment on." You stated noticing that the horses did not have their saddles. The saddles were resting over the fence of the pen. "We'll need a good distraction."

You looked back at the salesman and another man was talking to him. You couldn't hear exactly what they were saying, but you were able to get that the second man asked the salesman is he wanted to go to the trial of Mr. Sutter which is in session now. You looked away, as to not look suspicious, but you still looked from the corner of your eye at the two men. After a few more moments of talking, The salesman walked off with the other man, leaving the horses completely unattended.

You stood for a second in silence, "...Well that was easy."

All three of you all walked over to the pen. You climbed over the fence and then started to untie the horses from it. You told Thor to put the saddles on them, and he quickly did. You took a quick look an made sure everything was on correctly.

"Alright we're good." You said, opening the gate on the fence. You took the leads of both the horses and you all started rushing away from the location.