40

A silence was creeping in the kitchen as the two lovers stood across from each other. It felt like the silence has been going on for an hour. Adelaide finally looked back down at her phone, the screen showing her home menu with the apps on it. She went to her already read messages from her brother. The messages were sent hours ago. It pained Adelaide's heart that she wasn't the one who read them on time to comfort her brother. Adelaide shakily pursed her lips as she locked her phone into a black screen and turned around to face Daveed.

"Did you see any other messages that you might have accidently deleted?" Adelaide asked quietly her brows frowned. She wasn't expecting the worse but with her brother's words flowing through her head she wasn't sure what to think anymore. Her mind was somewhere else and filled with worry. This situation didn't make anything better, it just made things worse and harder to think of.

Daveed shook his head feeling a bit take back by the question but didn't say any other word. "Alright." She muttered then looked down again. "Alright." What am I supposed to do anyways? She thought to herself.

"I'm sorry." Daveed suddenly said the guilt was hard to overlook but Adelaide shook her head.

"Sorry isn't going to fix the situation right now." She replied coldly and it pained her that she couldn't turn to him let him explain it in hope for a good reason.

Could there be good reason anyways for these actions?

She unlocked her phone again. "I'll call my dad now, just to be clearer on things." Hoping that he would answer now instead of having to call him tomorrow. She needed to know exactly what was going on and how bad it actually was. She glanced at Daveed before leaving the room in a hurried manner, leaving Daveed alone in the kitchen. Daveed stood there staring into the empty space. Now he realized something. It didn't matter what he did, she would have gone anyways. He couldn't hold her back. And her leaving the room proved this.

"I talked to my dad."

"And?" Daveed tried not to be pushy nor anymore nosy than he already was. He hoped for the best. He really did.

"I'm flying back tomorrow."

"Oh." Daveed looked down before he tried to catch her eyes but she avoided him. "I'm sorry."

Adelaide turned to him this time looking in his eyes. "Why did you do that?" She felt betrayed and it felt worse that it was a person that she loves. "How could you do that? You knew how serious my mother's condition is." She felt angry. But didn't that just come with the feeling of betrayal.

"I was being selfish." In some ways Daveed felt the same way Adelaide did. Angered and betrayed by his own emotions. And he couldn't look at Adelaide anymore because also felt ashamed. "I wasn't thinking."

"Yes, you were."

She was right. He was thinking. He was thinking that he could get away with it like a child stealing a cookie from the cookie jar without his mother noticing. But of course he couldn't. He would be a fool to think so and he was. He acted on pure emotions and wants not on needs. Because he didn't need her here with him, he wanted her to be with him. His heart didn't need her and he just made everything worse for himself and for her.

"You were being a selfish idiot." She gritted through teeth wanting to turn around but Daveed leaped forward trying to grasp her wrist. Adelaide quickly pulled her arm away from him shaking her head. "Don't touch me. I can't...." She choked out and unwilling sob leaving her lips which her hand tried to hide it. It broke Daveed's heart, to see her like this all broken and to know that this was all his fault.

"I'm..." He stuttered out stepping forward. He wanted to fix this he really did.

"Don't apologies." Adelaide looked down the shadow covering her eyes and the tears that slid down her cheeks. "I'm sick of your apologies." She couldn't deny that she wanted to turn to him and fall into his arms, but she couldn't. It wouldn't be fair to her brother or her mother. Adelaide wanted to fix this but she didn't know how. Nor did she have the energy to do it now.