11

Heaving a sigh of relief as she exited the elevator, Sharon was glad that the work week was over and her first week at her new job. And she was glad that Cameron had kept his word. He didn't say anything when he dropped her off. He just wished her a good day and left soon after. She didn't know what he did the rest of the day but he always picked her up at the end of the day even though she had repeatedly told him that she could get around herself. The one time she didn't wait for him, he had found her before she got to the subway station and practically dragged her to his car. There had not been much of a crowd then. She was just lucky that the paparazzis were no longer paying attention to him.

Now, as she waited for him in front of a cafe around the corner from work, the place they had agreed to meet, having learned her lesson, her mind returned to work. Honestly, she didn't mind the job, as she had repeatedly told Cameron when he had slipped. Yeah, it was backbreaking work as her workplace was a small room by the restrooms that had been cleared in the last minute and she had to collect documents, contracts and other miscellaneous papers to be filed from all the people in the office. Yeah, she had shitty colleagues who either ignored her, cursed at her, shouted at her or any combination of the three. And yeah, she had her requests for more files and shelved looked over by the purchasing department. But she was starting to like it.

It was fun peeking into business side of the sports world that most people didn't get to know about. The percentages that the agents get. The exact worth of the athletes themselves. The exact terms of the contracts. It's not that she sits about all day and read them but as she files them, she was able to skim them through and they caught her attention. She was, truthfully, fascinated by them. And she had tried to find Cameron's contract but since he was managed by the head honcho himself and Matt was definitely more organised than his employees, she was not able to get her hands on them. Which, surprisingly, disappointed her.

Leaning against the wall of the cafe, she was not surprised to find that her mind was on him again. That man occupied too much of her time. From the moment she woke up, she thought about him, about what he would want for dinner since she had taken it upon herself to prepare dinner for the both of them. It was not a formal arrangement, like the one where he sends her to and from work. No words had been exchanged about it. It was just one of the unspoken arrangements. And she felt that it was a fair repayment for his chauffeuring services.

Then he came to her mind while she was using the gym. The words he had thrown at her still echoed in her mind and they still hurt her. But she found that the level of hurt decreased each day. Maybe it was because he had not repeated those words again. Or that he had not looked at her derisively or in disgust. Not even that night, she realised, her brows furrowing.

That had to be wrong. Why would he say those hurtful things if he didn't feel disgusted by her appearance? Her ex had said all those words, throwing even worse and devastating words, and he had looked so angry and disgusted. He hadn't even looked at her while tearing her down. So why hadn't Cameron?

"Sorry I'm so late. Traffic was a bitch."

Startled out of her thoughts, Sharon suddenly found Cameron by her side. He looked as hot as ever, even with the ballcap on his head and the beard. She had a near uncontrollable urge to take off his beard but she knew it was necessary. Even with the paparazzis moving onto bigger and juicier preys, Cameron's fans were still a consideration. The one time he hadn't gone out with any disguise, he was stopped every few minute for a picture, an autograph and even a offer to have sex. She had witnessed it from her office building and understood his near neurotic need to disguise himself

"Sharon, are you alright?"

"Yeah. Just wondering whether to belief you or not,"she teased and smiled when he grumbled under his breath. Covering her cheeks with her hands, not realising how cold it was becoming, she asked,"What's the real reason you're so late?"