37 (NEW)

“What the hell did you say?”

Cameron was shocked. Those words had reflexively escaped his lips but his mind was blank. All that was reverberating within were the words Sharon had said. Or what he believed he’d heard her say.

He was still reeling. That had been the last thing he expected from her. Wondering whether his ears were playing tricks on him, he sat up on and looked down. But she had turned her back on him, her eyes closed, by the time he recovered.

“Sharon, come on. Say that again. I need to hear it again,”he said, trying to make her look at him. He tried shaking her shoulder. He had to confirm again. He knew she was only pretending to sleep. Her face was flushed a bright red, which he could see from the lights coming in through the windows. But she was unmoved. Her eyes were tightly closed and she even let out a soft snore every now and then.

Thinking through his options, he decided to be bold. Go big or go home, as they said. Also she hadn’t run screaming out of his bed the moment she woke up. It wasn’t that he had taken advantage of her. He had simply carried her to his bed and was going to sleep outside but she hadn’t let go of him.

Aside from that, he knew his ears weren’t deceiving him. He had heard her say what she had. He had just been gripped with shock and uncertainty, Hoping that this wasn’t going to backfire, he pushed her to her back and levered himself over her, settling between those thick, pillowy thighs.

Her reaction was comical, to say the least. She gasped out in shock, her eyes opening wide and her arms flailing around. When she finally realised what had happened, she glared up at him while her hands settled on his shoulders. He had a hard time holding back his laughter.

“Cameron, what the hell are you doing?”she demanded, her hand punching his arm. He just smiled down at her, happy that she wasn’t treating him like some pervert. He was even happier when he realise that she had avoided his rehabilitating shoulder. She was taking care of him. Her green eyes practically shot sparks in the low light. She was angry. But as the silence continued, he could see her becoming more self-conscious, her eyes looking away before she returned to glare at him. “What? Explain yourself.”

“I don’t know,”he said, deciding to be serious this time. He couldn’t help but run his finger down her cheek. “I thought I heard you say something outrageous and just wanted to hear you say it again. You know, to confirm it.”

"Really? That's it?"

"Yeah,"he said, trying to be firm but the way she said it made him doubt himself. Was it not a big deal to her? She'd acted like it was but maybe he was wrong.

“Oh no, did you hear me decide to give up ice cream? You must have a boring life if that is enough to get such a reaction,”she sneered, trying to change the subject. But he was undaunted. She was lying through her teeth. He knew what he heard and that wasn't it.

"Really?"he asked in blatant disbelief. She nodded, acting all offended and mighty. It made him want to play with her a bit more. "Then you wouldn't mind if I do this?" Her brows furrowed together, clearly wondering what he had in mind. Then continuing in his being bold, he planted a kiss on her lips. At first, he had planned for a soft kiss. But when her lips parted in shock, he deepened the contact in reflex, his tongue dipping in and exploring all corners of her mouth.

He couldn't believe how instantaneous his arousal was. His mind went blank for a moment as he nearly drowned in the sea of passion and desire. He struggled to comprehend what was happening. She still tasted of sleep but before long, the sweet creaminess from the ice creams came through. Finally, he was able to taste her. A burst of floral sweetness and a hint of sharpness hit his tongue and he wanted more of that. But the constant push in his shoulders made him release her lips.