Chapter 11- The Years that Gone By

My name is Deirdre Jane McIntosh, andthat's it. No other name than that. A lot has changed since I lastupdated, hopefully it doesn't scare away everyone too badly.

For one thing, I'm now nineteen, goingto college full-time and trying to not cry over finals (I guessthat's something that has remained consistent, I still cry over testdays.) I accomplished what I was supposed to do, made sure that myweapon reached his full potential, and took other classes that wouldsatisfy my high school education.

My last few years at the DWMA were anawakening for me, well maybe up until I was sixteen. I learned thingsthat I wouldn't want to have learned, and also seen things that Iwished to never see again. I left after that. Right after seeing myweapon turn into what he was destined to be. I said my goodbyes andwent back home, transferred into my sisters' old high school and madefriends there, all the while trying to forget what happened andcoaxed it up to my over-active imagination and wishful thinking.

I am now living with my boyfriend in anapartment. No, not the boyfriend you're probably thinking of, he andI haven't spoken to each other since I left. As soon as I got backhome, I changed my number and got a new phone with the money I gainedover the years. I didn't have the pictures from then, and I went totherapy in order to try to forget and tell my mind that it was all inmy head, and that it never happened. I never met Death the Kid, Iwasn't a Meister, I never attended the DWMA, and I certainly nevermet Calcifer Dixon, because it was all in my head. I was crazy and Ineeded to seem normal, I needed to exfoliate these memories that Ionce had.

I strived for normalcy, and that's whatI've been doing, appearing normal, while in the back of my mind, I'vebeen screaming, screaming at myself to push the memories forward andgo back. Go back and say "hey, it's me, I'm back, you didn't thinkyou could get rid of me that easily, did ya? Of course not, I'm toocute to get rid of!" However, that was years ago, I was differentnow, I wasn't the naive fourteen-year-old little girl anymore. Ineeded to grow up.

That's what I told myself when I got aletter in the mail. A letter from Lord Death himself. It was a prank.It had to be. I never called him after my therapist told me that Iwas delusional-never attempted to. I was to be normal, I had to, Ihad to be normal for my sake, or maybe the sake for society.

My boyfriend, Dmitri, gave me theletter after he got the mail. He gave me a questioning look as hegave me the letter, his eyebrows knitted together.

"Deir, this came for you." He said,his voice dripping in confusion as he held out the letter. Confusedat his tone, I took the letter, looking at it and feeling the bloodfrom my face drain away.

It couldn't be. I never told them whereI lived, I never-it couldn't-I was normal! I was finding sanity afterall the insane things that has happened to me.

Needless to say, I burned that letteras fast as I could and dumped the ashes in the garbage. However, thatdidn't stop them from coming and I didn't stop burning them when theydid come in.

Maybe they would catch a hint. I madeit fairly obvious that I was done with that. I was done with thatlife. I was happy-I was normal! I got along better with my parents,my brother and I are on talking terms, I was in love with myboyfriend from high school! I was normal, an averagenineteen-year-old girl who tended to complain over early mornings,but then smile when I got the whiff of a fresh cup of coffee. Iwanted to be normal-or at least next to it. But, I couldn't be, couldI? I was already pinned for being the weird girl. The girl who missedher first two years of high school and then mysteriously showed up.The girl who was hiding away from her past because it was all toomuch to confront.

It was why on this day I nearly beganrunning again like I did in track. I nearly bolted from the frontdoor and hid away, rocking myself back and forth confirming to myselfthat it wasn't real, that I was just seeing things and when I openedmy eyes again, it'd be gone.