Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Sarah looked around the room she'd been shown to. The blue of the fabrics gave the otherwise white room color. A little goblin handmaiden had come to help her dress, but Sarah had chased her away. Hopefully she had to report to Jareth. I need to talk to him. After getting to his castle, Jareth had taken Toby somewhere and told the handmaiden to take her to this room to rest. Sarah didn't want to rest. Something is going on. And I plan to find out.

Toby stood listening to Jareth. He had wanted to make him his heir, but he wasn't so sure anymore. Jareth watched as Toby turned away. "I can't leave Sarah. Not now. She all but raised me herself. My mother has never understood me. Sarah needs me now." Jareth placed a hand on his shoulder. "Your sister is strong. She can take care of herself." But she needs me, too. Remained unsaid. Toby turned and faced him. "She maybe but she'll need me since some guy got her knocked up and won't call her." Jareth stepped back. "What does that mean?" Toby looked at him. "Sarah's pregnant." Jareth closed his eyes. That's what it was. Sarah, why didn't you call me? The two returned to the Castle and Jareth went in search of Sarah. Everything has changed now.

Sarah sat on the bed trying to decide how to tell him. Glancing at the windows, Sarah closed her eyes. She opened them when the door opened. Looking at the doorway, she watched as Jareth walked in.

He slammed the door behind him. With his hands on his hips, Jareth looked every bit the Goblin King from fifth-teen years ago, but this time he wasn't facing a fifth-teen year old girl. He was facing the woman he loved. The mother of his unborn child. Sarah stood up and faced him. "You want something?" He walked toward her the anger in his face disappeared. "Sarah, we need to talk." Sarah sat back down on the bed as Jareth moved the vanity stool to sit on it.

Jareth tried to look in her eyes, but Sarah wouldn't look at him. "Why didn't you call me? I'd come as soon as you called." She looked up at him. "I thought it was a dream." She got up and walked toward the mirrors. She spun around to face him. "It's all your fault." Jareth stood up and faced her pointing at himself. "My fault!? I came when YOU called me. I haven't done anything you didn't ask for." Sarah looked at him with tears. "Did I ask for you take Toby this time?" Jareth walked over to her and put his arms around her. "No. Sarah, I'm willing to give up everything up here for you. I need a hire to take my place. The only person I could think of that was perfect was Toby." Sarah looked up at him. "I won't have my little brother here. I saved him. I don't want to lose him after all." Tears fell down her face. Jareth smiled. "Don't worry. I'll still give up my throne and I know just who to leave in charge."