Ch.6 Love Don't Die

If I know one thing, that's true

It's that I'm never leaving you

And you don't say much, yeah, that's true

But I lose it when you do

Don't let them tell no lie

Love don't die

"Have you had time to talk to Max? Remy asked, handing his daughter a towel to wipe her bloody lips, as well as her fingers.

Ava cleaned up before answering with a shaky voice. "Y-yeah."

"So both of you are on good terms?"

Ava avoided her father's piercing grey eyes, as she focused on her shoes. In the confine of her left pocket, she gripped the necklace in her hand. "More or less."

The duo was a few miles into the forest that surrounded the cabin. A comfortable moment between father and daughter, after taking care of their natural thirst for blood. Hunting deer was one thing Remy loved between Ava and him. The ability to see his genetics working beautifully for his daughter. She raced with speed, lunged with power, fangs sharper than razor blades, movements agile like a ballerinas, but powerful like her fathers.

He was so proud of her, just as he was concerning all his children.

"Ava." His voice was softer than before, as he wrapped a toned arm around his daughter. "I know you're a smart girl, so answer me this. Is it worth having something good now, when you know deep down something else will make you happier in the long run?"

"No."The answer was clear, but what was he referring to? Ava's dark brows were furrowed in confusion. The obvious interpretation would have been her current relationship with Sebastian, and the possibility of Maddox being her soulmate. But that couldn't be it.

Maddox wasn't her mate nor did he want to be.

I didn't come back for you.

Remy leaned down and kissed his daughter's forehead, a soft expression on his face, reserved only for his family. "Your mother and I are always here for you."

With that their conversation was over, Ava thinking about her father's question and him enjoying the quiet moment he got with his only daughter, although it ended quickly.

"Something's wrong. We have to go." Remy swiftly got up from the log, his muscles visibly tensing underneath his shirt.

Ava followed her father, running back to the house with supernatural speed.

There on the front porch steps sat Ava's mother next to a bloody lipped Sebastian. The twins leaning on the railing, fake concern on their faces. It wasn't hard to see that they weren't fond of the human boy.

"Are you okay? What happened?" Ava rushed over to her boyfriend, pale hands gently grabbing his face for closer inspection.

Sebastian frowned at Ava, pushing away her cold hands as he stood up. "I'm fine."

Ava was stunned for a moment, although she tried to hide it from her family.

"Which one of you punched him?" Remy asked, looking at the twins, who were now a grinning mess.

Silas was the one to answer his father. "Neither, it was Max."

Remy nodded his head after flicking both boys on their noses for their obvious fake concern. "Get inside."

The twins followed the orders of their father, yet the grins were still plastered to their face.

Remy kissed Genevieve on the lips quickly, before asking. "Where's Max?"