Ch.13 Heartache

We were walking on moonlight

And you pulled me close

Split second and you disappeared

And then I was all alone

☠☠☠☠
If you're reading for the second time do not spoil anything!!!

The tension in the room was thick and Maddox wondered if the others were oblivious or just ignoring it. Dragging a hand across his face, he breathed out a silent sigh before leaning back on the wall, arms crossed. Hidden in the shadows of the room it was clear that he was there, but not as Ava's mate. Maddox was almost invisible, as Ava's family crowded the seats near her bed, and the couch across from her bed. Max understood, family meant everything to the Monroe's but that they were unconsciously picking Sebastian over him ... it hurt.

There propped on the end of Ava's bed sat Sebastian, visually tired and disheveled, as he held Ava's hand in his. He looked sad and guilty, almost as if he had caused Ava's coma-like state.

The afternoon he had arrived, after getting a call from Remy, he was hugged by the family and informed about Ava's condition. They shared their grief and treated Sebastian as if he were her mate, as if Maddox were just a distant friend.

Remy was the only one who, didn't treat Sebastian like Ava's possible mate. The man was distant, as he watched every single move anyone made when nearing Ava's bed. He could have cared less about Sebastian, as he worried about the life of his only daughter.

Maddox wanted to let the world know that he was Ava's mate, but he wouldn't -not until Ava awoke. When she had left the tree house, their relationship was only partly resolved. They hadn't agreed on anything. The only thing Maddox knew was that Ava wanted to tell Sebastian about their mate bond. Sebastian deserved to hear it from Ava. Maddox didn't like Sebastian, but he wasn't going to make the break up harder for the boy.

The commotion in the room pulled Maddox from his thoughts. Mike and Levi stood across from each other, both arguing as Remy and Gen glanced worriedly at Ava.

"... She needs a blood transfusion. The poison is replacing her blood!" Mike got louder, before turning to Remy. "If you want your daughter to survive, she's going to need a blood transfusion."

Levi rolled his eyes and glanced at Remy and Genevieve. "I don't think it's a good idea to put something new in her body."

"What happens if she doesn't get a blood transfusion?" Remy asked, arms wrapped around his mate, as he glanced sternly between the two doctors.

"The poison will kill her, in a matter of hours if she doesn't get blood." Mike replied, already pulling out the needed supplies for the transfusion.

Remy must have given Levi a look, because the doctor sighed. "It's true ... but I still don't think a blood transfusion is going to work."

Obviously the answer wasn't good enough, because Remy turned to the pack doctor. "I'll donate. Do what you have to do."

The doctor began to prep Remy's arm, as the rest of the family watched with worried eyes.

"I don't like this idea." Levi muttered, but stepped back from Ava's bed.

"Get out." Remy turned to him with beady black eyes and sharp fangs bared. "If you are not willing to do anything to save Ava, then get out."

"You know it's not like that ..." Levi replied, crossing his arms over his chest.

"I can't lose her. I won't, Levi." Remy replied, before gently squeezing Ava's hand as Mike started the transfusion.

Everybody watched the screen that displayed Ava's brain activity in silence, waiting for some indication that Remy's blood was helping.

Maddox's heart was pounding as he watched anxiously, his hands trembling in the pockets of his jeans. Roman stood beside him, and patted him once on the back as if he knew what Maddox was going through.

A few tense minutes went by and when Ava's brain activity waves dropped to almost non-existent, Levi rushed to disconnect the transfusion. "It's killing her."

Genevieve pulled Remy back, as he stood frozen staring between the medical screen and his dying daughter.

Everybody seemed to be rooted to the spot, stunned at the revelation. Levi ushered the twins out of the room. They were too young and if Ava died they didn't need to see it.

"I don't understand. You're her father it should have worked." Mike, studied the medical screen.

Remy lunged at the doctor, fangs bared. "Do something that will work or so help me god, I will rip your fucking throat out."

Roman and Levi tried pulling Remy back, as Mike scrambled to his feet, face flushed.

After Remy regained his composure, Levi looked between him and Genevieve. "We won't be able to find a cure in time. So to buy time I'll dagger her heart, making her temporarily dead."

"Is that even safe?" Sebastian spoke up, brown eyes darting between the two doctors.

"It's the only option we have right now." Levi answered.

"Do it." Genevieve said, tears shimmering in her eyes.

Levi glanced at the three boys, asking them to leave the room.

Maddox stood frozen, as glanced at Remy with pleading eyes. He couldn't leave Ava. He hoped Remy would see the fear in his eyes and let him stay.

"Sebastian leave. Roman go check on your brothers." Remy said, his voice soft and he hadn't even spared them a glance.

Maddox sighed in relief, silently thanking Remy.

Once the door closed behind the two boys, Levi prepared Ava, while Mike cut off all the machines.

Surprising Maddox, Genevieve had gently pulled him forward and squeezed his hand in comfort, as they watched Levi plunge the silver dagger into Ava's heart. Her back arched off the bed before slowly sinking back into the mattress.

"She'll be ok in this state until we find a cure." Levi said, glancing at his best friend.

Remy pulled Levi in for a hug, whispering his thanks before asking for some privacy with his family.

The two doctors left, leaving Remy and Genevieve next to Ava's bed and Maddox across from them.

"You should be the one holding Ava's hand, not Sebastian." Remy commented, staring Maddox down with knowing eyes.

Maddox wasn't completely shocked, but he was speechless. He glanced down at his pale mate, a dagger in her heart and it was the only thing keeping her from dying, to where she wouldn't wake back up anymore.

"We know, Ava knows so why don't you tell Sebastian to back off." Remy continued to stare at Maddox, making him shift from foot to foot.

"I can't." Maddox finally said, glancing at Remy and Gen once, before staring back down at Ava. "She wanted to tell him and he needs to hear it from her."

___________

Who do you think shot Ava? You know the character ... could possibly be female, but doesn't have to be ...

Sebastian is the obvious answer despite his sweet nature. Maybe I want you to think it's too obvious, so you think it's somebody else, when in reality it is Sebastian. Think about it ... #Reverse Psychology *smirks*

SEBASTIAN IS NOT A WITCH! His family, they are witch hunters. They are humans, who hunt witches. Not witches that hunt ...

Votes: 280 & Comments: 160

Random Fact about myself : I'm not sure if I mentioned this, but I hate being touched. When somebody unexpectedly touches me, I cringe and kind of curl into myself. Even if I know it's coming I still try to avoid it. I've never been abused or anything like that, but touching is a big NO for me.