Roommate

It felt weird, to say the least, being there in a large unknown building with a strange man who claimed to be a doctor. You were skeptical, It was just part of your nature to be.

But as soon as real food, something you all had been missing for a while now, started to fill your stomach you soon forgot the reasons you didn't quite trust this place.

Although, it probably wasn't just the food, but more so the wine causing you to forget.

It felt good, getting to laugh and smile again. You were all there as a group growing to be a family, drinking together and forgetting the past few days. In this atmosphere, it almost seemed as if the world was like it was. Put together and safe.

"The couches are quite comfortable, but there are some cots in storage if you would like those." Jenner informed you all, after a filling supper. Walking down the narrow hallway with many rooms to both your left and right to sleep in.

"There's a rec room that you kids may enjoy," He adds as we continue to tiredly lug our bags around. "Just don't plug in the video games."

We stop walking as he turns to look at us, reaching the end of the hall before the bathrooms begin. "And go easy on the hot water."

Your eyes widen at that simple statement, "Hot water?"

Glenn whispers as Jenner leaves, causing you to smile at the thought.

Gathering yourself a long forest green t-shirt to sleep in, and a clean pair of underwear you make your way to the showers.

The small glass confined space soon filled with steam, standing under the spray at first. Unable to do anything else but gasp at how good running water felt. The feeling almost lost to you now, realizing it was another thing you took for granted daily.

Lathering the shampoo into your hair, hoping to get out the pesky tangles your hairbrush had been fighting to get through, you can feel the water washing away all the dirt and grime that has stuck to your body in the past few days.

After rinsing the soapy suds, spotting the bar of soap and small razor brings you another ping of joy. Again something so simple, but something you hadn't had since the outbreak.

Smoothness soon replaces the rough and dirt ridden feeling on your legs, and under your arms.

Letting the water run over your face, you frown when you have to turn it off. Drying off with a powder blue towel, you wrap it around your body. Making sure it's secure, you make it back to your room. You had decided to leave your clothes neatly folded on the couch.

Pulling the soft cotton black panties up your legs, it feels like something from a different life time. Even if it had only been days. The way the fabric just glides right up your skin.

Pulling the shirt over your damp hair, letting it hang mid thigh on you, you hear a soft knock on the closed door.

"Come in." You say, grabbing your hairbrush. Enjoying the way it makes itself easily through your newly washed locks.

Peaking his head in, Daryl makes sure you're fully decent before intruding all the way. "You can come in Daryl."

You tell him with a laugh, as he stands awkwardly in the doorway.

Walking in you can tell he's showered, wearing something besides that God awful torn and sweat stained plaid shirt with no sleeves.

Closing the door behind him, dropping his bag and crossbow on the ground in the corner. Now he wears a pair of grey sweatpants and a navy v-neck shirt. It's a very different look for him, but a good one you find your self thinking.

"What brings you by Dixon?" You ask, packing away your brush and sitting on the edge of the couch.

He looks around the small-- yet more spacious then the tent-- room. "Figured ye might want a roommate." 

Daryl states it simply, but somehow it still brings a small smile to your face.

"How'd you know?" You whisper to him jokingly, as he sets up a blanket and pillow on the floor.

Sliding down off the cushion, you lean your back against the brown fabric couch. And soon Daryl takes the space next to you, leaning back as well. His shoulder touching your own.

You can smell the soap on him, the way his hair looks less dusty and greasy as it did. But it's the smell of his skin now that intoxicates you. He still has that slight smoke smell of nicotine, but above it's that light clean scent.

The way sheets smell after a round in the dryer, or the way the first day of spring smells; fresh, new and warm.

"We gonna talk bout it?" Daryl asks, his voice breaking into the silence that began to fill the air in the room. Feeling uncomfortable not knowing where he stood with you.

Bringing your left knee inward to your chest, leaving your right laying straight in front of you, you bite you bottom lip at the topic he has now brought up.

"If the 'it' you're talking about, is the you know... Thing," You whisper timidly. "then yeah, we can talk about it."

Daryl turns his head to the left to look at you now, causing you to look right back at him.

"We kissed." You say, knowing he won't be the one to acknowledge it first.

He nods, "We did."

"It's gotta mean something," You pause. "don't it?"

Daryl takes a moment, just looking at you. In your eyes, maybe looking for any sign to show him what to expect. What to say next, or better yet what not to see. He fears rejection... Just like you.

"I suppose it does."

"What does this mean to you?" He asks, feeling nerves bundle in his gut.

Chewing on your cheek, a habit you've had forever whenever you get nervous or anxious. "I want it to,"

You stop youself for a moment, clearing your throat before starting over.

"I want it to be something that's genuine. I want it to be something that I can hold onto, no matter how low life gets. That's what I want." You express.

"But what it means for me, I think that's what really scared me. It means that there's one more person in this falling apart world that I might lose. It means that as I'm falling in love with you, I'm putting my heart out there on the line. And I'm vulnerable." Shaking your head, you can feel sudden tears sting your eyes.

"It means... That this thing we have right now, I want it. I want it bad enough that I'm risking having my heart broken to have just a minute of it."

Daryl stares understandingly at you as you explain the best you can all this to him. Until it's his turn to answer the same question.

"What does this mean to you?"

"Means I got me somethin ta fight for."

It's much simpler and much shorter then your answer. But it's sweet and meaningful in it's own way. Sometimes all you need is one reason, only a few words to make a meaning last.

"I'm glad you came to be my roommate tonight Dixon." You whisper as the lights turn off, and he lays beside you tonight. Roughing it on the carpet under the blanket.

"Me too."

A/N: There's parts of this one that I really like, and some I think are a bit choppy. Hopefully it's okay! Happy Easter!💜