Us

(Part two for the one shot You and Me)

The sun rose the next morning just as early as you did. Peeking over the horizon until it spread light into the once dark night sky. Birds sang their songs sweetly as dawn arrived and you listened to the chirps as you strolled down the empty street in Alexandria.

Everyone else was still asleep in their homes or standing guard at the watch post. But you were still the only person out in the deserted streets at this hour. And you didn't mind it. You didn't miss the chatter or the smiles, you enjoyed the peaceful quiet. Having a moment to breathe in the cool morning air and think clearly on your own.

Climbing up the three porch steps leading to the house you've arrived at, you knock on the white painted door. Waiting for a response, you look around at the plain porch with the wooden swing hung up by a metal chain. It blows softly in the morning breeze, and you imagine yourself sitting there. Swinging early on a morning like this; not a care in the world. Shaking your head at the ridiculous thought, your hand raises and knocks on the door again.

Still no response. But something in your body tells you that the occupent on the other side of that door is here... And awake.

"Daryl," Your fist knocks gently once more against the wood."Its me, open up."

Still nothing. Sighing to yourself, you know he's avoiding you. He did this, everytime you got into an argument or disagreement. This was his way of dealing; avoidance. On rare occasions, he would come around on his own. But most times it was you that made the first effort. And you knew after last night, that you needed to make the first effort.

"Come on Daryl, open the door."

It was as if he was right on the other side of the door, waiting this entire time. For the front door swung open without a second passing in between. Daryl stood tall in front of you, his hand on the doorknob and his other hand pressed against the wall.

He wore exactly what he wore last night, as though he never changed. Although to be fair, that wasn't anything new. But he looked at you with something hidden behind his eyes and you spotted the bags below his eyes of blue. They were the bags that were always there, from the years of sleepless nights. But this morning, they were even more prominent on his tanned face.

"Grab your crossbow," You tell him, clearing your throat softly. "We're going out."

"What?" He asks you in a confused mumble, and your eyes lift hesitantly to meet his gaze.

"We're going to go hunt, you and me. So go grab your crossbow."

You are expecting resistance from him, but surprisingly he doesn't put up a fight. He doesn't question it any further, and disappears back into the house for a moment to grab his weapon. Seconds pass before he comes into view again, shutting the front door behind him as he straps his crossbow across his back.

Daryl looks down at you just as your head raises to take a short glance his way. His eyes finding yours and you know that both of you have a million things flowing through your minds. Words you want to say and things he wants to express. But you stay quiet, and he starts down the steps silently with you following closely behind.

It feels as though nothing between the two of you has changed. As you walk beside Daryl through the shadowy forest, with the soft morning sun peeking through the full branches above you. This moment was one you had lived before, and it felt like nothing was different.

Like you hadn't ever found Alexandria and you were wandering the woods with the one you loved once again. Like Daryl hadn't said that you two weren't meant for each other. Like you hadn't stood in front of him in a fancy dress in the middle of the street, while he basically broke up with you. Out here in the peaceful nature of the forest, all of that was forgotten.

"You know," Your voice enters the void that was only filled by the sound of the bird's singing and the bugs chirping within the tree limbs. "It wasn't easy for me, going to Deanna's party last night. You made it sound like I had no problem, but that's not true." 

Daryl's heavy steps slow and he turns his head to the left to look your way.

"I mean sure, I loved finding that dress hanging in the closet like it had been there all this time. I loved putting on make up after years without. I loved wearing heels, well for the first five minutes maybe. But I realized I had forgotten about all of the insecurities and all of the worries that come along with the dress and the shoes. This world made me forget about my insecurity with my knobby knees and my insecurity with the way my skin isn't flawless. Last night, reminded me."

Daryl listens to you speak, watching you intently as you go on explaining to him.

"I had forgotten how much I dread small talk. I had forgotten what it was like to show up to a party without a date. What I'm trying to say Daryl, is that maybe I did have fun. Maybe I did enjoy getting dressed up. But it wasn't easy like you think. I didn't automatically feel comfortable or fit in like you think."

Its some time before Daryl says anything. The sound of nature filling the void in between.

"Ye looked real pretty." Daryl murmurs under his breath, and your cheeks flush pale pink and you smile shyly to yourself.

"Even though it intimidated you? Even though it made you feel like I was someone else?" You ask him, as you both continue walking. Crunching over branches and fallen leaves in your path.

Daryl shrugs his shoulders and looks down at his mud coated boots. "Sometimes wish I was someone else for ye."

"Why?" You question, raising your eyebrow in curiosity.

Daryl just shrugs his shoulder again.

"Daryl," Your hand reaches out and touches his wrist. Causing his steps to stop and his body to turn and face you. "You told me last night that we're different. And maybe we are. You said that we weren't made for each other, and maybe we weren't. But being the same or being made for someone is so much different than needing someone."

"You and me, we need each other."

Daryl gazes down at you, studying your face intently and listening to your words closely.

"It isn't about can you fit in at a party or about if I can put on a pretty dress. Its about the fact that when we're together, we're better. That when we're us, anything else shouldn't matter."

Your hand that held tightly onto his wrist, slides down slowly till your fingers intwine with his. And his hand is warm. His fingers curl around your own and his grasp is a welcome flood of warmth and comfort.

"I need ye," Daryl whispers softly, his words almost blowing off with the breeze.

"I need you too." You tell him back in a whisper just like his own.

And there, submerged in the woods where you both feel perfectly at peace, Daryl's lips find yours. And his kiss still managed to take your breath away, even after all this time together. For his kisses were rare and when they finally occured... They were like rediscovering a treasure chest you thought was lost. His kiss made your heart beat harder for him, and made your heart swell with love for the redneck.

His kisses had a way of making your forget about all the death and chaos of the world around you. Even if only for a short moment. And right now, feeling his lips upon your own, you both forget the need to be the same. You both forget the need to be sculpted perfectly for one another.

Kissing Daryl Dixon makes you see that you need him more than the need to be the same. Being with him is enough. So what if you didn't have a man who liked to attend a rare social event, or a man who enjoyed all of the things that you did. You had a man who could and would protect you from anything and everything. You had a man who loved you... And in this world... That was all you needed.

A/N: I really like this second part, I hope you all liked it and that it stood up to any expectations you might've had!