In the Dark

Her hair was soft; full messy tangles that Daryl loved to run his fingers through at night. There was something about letting his fingers glide through her long curly locks after a long day that soothed him. Something about it calmed his body, made his racing thoughts slow and made his breaths turn back to even and steady ones.

Daryl looks down at her, the beautiful woman laying in his bed beside him. It had been this way for months, he never had to sleep alone again. And he didn't know until she started to share his bed, that he didn't like sleeping alone. In fact, the rare nights they had a fight and she slept elsewhere, Daryl didn't get any sleep. He couldn't, he was too used to having her beside him. She was like his sleeping pill; the only thing that could bring him sleep now.

Her skin was warm; tan from the burning summer sun and smooth against his that was calloused and worn. Her touch was always gentle and always kind, something Daryl was drawn to. He never knew a touch as soft and sweet as hers, and it took him some time to get used to. Whether she slipped her hand into his or was running her hands up and down his chest, each time she touched him it felt like fireworks exploding beneath his skin. His favorite of the times he would feel her touch, was that at night time. The touch she made as her arms wrapped around his body as she was falling asleep. When her hands reached for him as she dreamed, when her body was pushed up against his when he woke before her. She was drawn to him, even in her sleep.

Still staring down at her, he feels as her arms tighten around his waist. Holding onto him for comfort as she sleeps soundly. Daryl can't help it, as his arm is placed beneath her head as a pillow, the smile that spreads softly on his lips. The feel of her hands on him is warm and it sparks a feeling inside of himself that he can't find the words to describe.

Her eyes; a pale green that reminds him of fresh leaves in spring. They are just as kind as the rest of her, one of her features he can never look away from. Even in the dark of night he likes to look at them. The way her long lashes flutter as she dreams, making him wonder from time to time what it is she dreams of.

As he does now, looking sweetly down at the woman in his arms sleeping away, he can't help but watch her eyelids flutter. Dreaming wildly, and a part of Daryl wonders if she ever dreams of him. Has he ever invaded her dreams like she has done to his? Has he ever been her last thought before she falls asleep and the first when she wakes, like she is most days for him?

Her lips; thin, pale, yet utterly perfect for her. Daryl has caught himself staring at those lips a little too long a few too many times, and he has dreamed of those lips. Her pink lips touching his own, her lips trailing down his body and up again. His favorite thing about her lips however, are the smiles that overtake them. The soft and tender smiles that stretch out on her thin pink lips. They flood him with warmth, and as if it's contagious he soon finds himself smiling back at her.

Her lips move here and there when she sleeps. She doesn't snore and she doesn't talk in her sleep, but it looks as though she wants to say things some nights. Daryl watches now as her lips do just that, barely visable but he can see them move. Those lips that haunt his mind with overwhelming urges to press his lips against hers. Those lips that smile at him first thing in the morning and press gently to his hand when there are no words to be spoken.

Her personality is far from Daryl's, almost opposites. She's outspoken and outgoing, as Daryl keeps things to himself and stays to himself. She's a social butterfly, whereas he's a turtle who is always stuck back in his shell. She's kind and friendly, Daryl tends to say things that offend people. She is confident with who she is, Daryl struggled his whole life with his identity and who he is...  From his past to his present. She's opens up where he closes people out. Somehow their differences even one another out, making one another better even. People say opposites attract, and in Daryl's case it's true.

He can almost make out her personality as she sleeps, as if that side of her is sketched out in her face even in sleep. He liked being able to see that at night.

She was always Daryl's diamond in the rough. The lighthouse in the middle of a stormy sea, that angel found in the depths of hell. She was light, and Daryl always felt like the darkness.

Looking down at her, the woman Daryl had made room for in his guarded heart, he realizes something. The way her arms are reached outward and wrapped around him in her sleep, the way her head lays soundly on his arm. The way she's drawn to him even in the dark, the way she wants to be close to him even in her sleep. He realizes that maybe, just maybe, he isn't the darkness. Maybe day by day, she's giving to him some of her light. And in the dark of the night, they both shine with a bright light. Maybe Daryl isn't the darkness he thought he was after all.

A/N: I really like this one!