t h r e e

"Does this make me look fat?" I asked, using the typical line any girl would ask when trying on an outfit, fishing for their friend's opinion. I was wearing a black mini dress. Something that didn't suite me very well, but I had nothing else decent to wear, so I had actually gotten desperate enough to call up Maddie Fuller, and ask for her opinion. We had ended up going shopping, and she was actually nice enough to pitch in and buy me a new outfit.

It was a bit slutty in my opinion, but Maddie insisted that my date would love it. I refused to give her any information on just who my date was, because of course, I didn't trust her. I knew she'd go running and tell Abigail about it, and Abigail would only throw herself at him to make me jealous.

Although I didn't think Calvin could be that easily pulled by some whorish girl's attempts.

So there I stood in front of a full length mirror at Maddie's house, waiting for her to say no for the hundredth time, and that I didn't look fat at all.

"No, for God's sake Heather. He'll love it. What guy doesn't love a girl who shows off a little leg?" Maddie asked me.

I rolled my eyes. Of course that would be her thought process about this. She was really no better than Abigail.

"So are you ever going to tell me who you're seeing? I mean, I won't tell anyone." she said.

I laughed. "Maddie Fuller won't tell anyone? You've got the biggest mouth around here. It's kinda what you're known for. That, and being a complete bitch."

"Hey, I bought your broke ass a dress. You should be kissing my ass right now, not insulting it. Now tell me who this mystery guy is? Is it Rob Miller?" Maddie pressed.

I snorted. "No." Technically, I wasn't lying at the time.

"Then tell me, just what guy around here asked you out? Since when did everyone suddenly become interested in plain old Heather Whimes?"

"Everyone? You're really this bitter that one guy is paying me attention? Is it because you and Abigail haven't had the chance to pounce on him yet?" I asked.

"Alright, alright, we're getting no where and it's almost 7. I've got to get your makeup done." Maddie said, finally caving and doing what I thought was giving up on the interrogating.

Maddie pulled my long black hair up into a high ponytail, and applied blood red lipstick to my lips. I didn't particularly like lipstick, but hey, I wasn't going to complain about that. This was my first date, and I was being styled up by someone who had been on many. I'm sure she knew what she was doing.

The tricky part was when she started applying winged eyeliner. It was hard to keep still, and I had never worn any eyeliner before. In fact, I had never worn makeup at all, accept for a little mascara.

When Maddie was done, I looked gorgeous, and that was something I rarely could admit to myself.

"Wow," I breathed, taking in my reflection.

"You look great." Maddie said, and for once, giving me a genuine smile.

"Thanks."

Maddie sat in a swivel chair across from me, and stared me down. I knew what was coming. More interrogation.

"So it's someone me and Abigail haven't ever talked to?" she asked.

I rolled my eyes.

"Hm, Kevin?" she asked, naming a guy in our class who never talked. Not once ever had anyone heard him utter a word, and I was almost positive he was simply mute, because his face expressed his feelings towards everyone.