t h i r t e e n

Ironically, since George had told us not to touch anything in his house, he was actually leaving us in it to go to work. I was surprised that he trusted two teenagers like us to watch over the place while he was gone, but he said something about Rob made him seem trustworthy, and nothing like his father. As for me, I was just kind of there, and only trusted because I'd arrived with him. It was weird that George would say Rob was nothing like his father when he had done similar things in his past, but I guess people could change.

Throughout that entire time, me and Rob hadn't had time to discuss just what we were, nor what we wanted to be to each other. I believed he liked me, but there just seemed to never be any time I got to have with him to talk about that, especially now that we were on the run.

Eventually Rob told me we'd have to leave this state, and get even farther away. "But why? I thought we'd deciding on staying with George?" I asked him.

"You're kidding right? Eventually they're going to get closer to finding us, or someone's gonna recognize us Heather. Besides, George seems like a really great guy to stay with and all, but nobody can actually be trusted. He might not even be at work right now. He could be ratting us out for all we know." Rob explained. I had been so sure that he trusted George more than anybody, especially since he found out the truth about why his dad hated him.

"So we're just going to keep state hopping with no vehicle? Come on, not everyone's gonna be as willing to drive us around as that trucker was. In fact, that trucker was a little too willing. He could have ratted us out."

"That's why we find a different trucker Heather, duh!"

"They're not all the same dipshit." I said, rolling my eyes. He was really not seeing the bigger picture on just how difficult this was about to get without a car. Sure, there was stealing George's, but I wasn't taking that risk. He could easily shoot us dead, and besides, I didn't think Rob would have wanted to break his trust.

"We'll find a way. Be positive, after all, this was mostly your idea." Rob said.

Did I regret it? I couldn't answer that question. I was glad to be away from Ohio, but I didn't realize just how much it took to not get dragged back there. Not to mention that if we kept leaving places, we'd eventually end up with nobody. At least Rob knew George. He was family, and that made things less difficult.

There was a knock at the door, and we both jumped. Rob placed a finger to his lips, and ordered silently for me not to make a sound, or a movement to get the door.

I was frozen in place on the living room couch, and I doubted I'd make a move to do anything but run if that was someone who was after us.

Rob moved to the window, and peaked out, trying to see who was outside. George's door didn't have the peephole thing that some did, so we had to use that window to our advantage.

"It's some guy. He looks around our age." Rob whispered, raising an eyebrow.

"Don't ask me. You know we don't know anyone here but George." I said.

Rob took a deep breath, then moved to the front door, just as the guy knocked again. "When I open this door, if he tries anything crazy, make a run for it."

I nodded. George didn't give us any specific rules about not answering the door for anyone, but I'm sure he'd be pretty pissed to find that we had. After all, he didn't want anyone on his property, and we were lucky to even be on it.

Rob opened the door, and a tall guy who wore khakis and a short sleeve polo looked back at us. He had short, wavy black hair, and he wore a Nike hat. He looked so out of place compared to all the other country Kentucky citizens we had previously seen.