e i g h t

Mrs. Celeste, who had the most typical Italian last name I knew of around here, was the first person in quite a while whose child I watched. I hadn't really watched anyone's kid for about two weeks simply because I didn't have the energy to deal with a child, plus all the drama that was happening around me. Mrs. Celeste lived up the road from us, and as typical as it sounded, she made the best pizza, and always rewarded me with it, and a good amount of money for watching her daughter Kelee.

Kelee was no more than 3 years old, and unlike most children, she was a total sweetheart. She was probably my favorite child to babysit, because she was quiet. All she did was eat cookies and watch Spongebob Squarepants all the time. Kelee was extremely shy, and I think that's why she never talked to many people. Her mother had tried everything to get Kelee to start saying words, but she only said a few if any at all.

The only person Kelee ever felt comfortable around besides her mother, father, and older sister, was me, according to Mrs. Celeste, so she definitely trusted me with her daughter.

Kelee came over a few days after everything happened at around 3, and we had done nothing but sit on my couch watching Spongebob. It was hot here, still, and I constantly worried that Kelee wouldn't be able to take it. I had given her so much water, I was sure to regret it later when she peed every 5 seconds.

There was a knock on the door, and Kelee's head snapped up. Her eyes widened. I rubbed her back. "It's okay. I'm sure it's just Rob." I told her, even though I knew she'd have no clue who that even was. I picked her up and carried her on my hip to the front door. When I opened it, my assumption was proved correct.

"Heather, you're babysitting?" Rob asked, looking from Kelee to me. Kelee stared at Rob, her eyes never leaving his face. I worried what her little mind was thinking.

"Yeah, this is Kelee. She doesn't talk very much. She's shy."

Rob smiled at Kelee. "Well I'm glad I have these on me." he said, pulling out a bag of Twizzlers candy. I didn't particularly like the things, but I figured Kelee might.

Suddenly, at the sight of them, she clapped her little hands together and said, "Twizzies!"

I grinned. "I think she likes those." Rob unwrapped one and handed it to me. I placed it in her hand, guiding it to her mouth to make sure she only bit off a little at a time.

"So what have you two been up to?" Rob asked, staring at the two of us.

"Nothing, just watching Spongebob." I said.

"You know, she can have the rest of these. I don't really need them." he said, handing me the rest of the bag. I nodded, and took it.

"You can come inside if you want. My parents are up in their room asleep. Nothing wakes them up easily."

Rob smirked and came inside. "This is different. For once, I'm at your place instead of you being at mine."

I rolled my eyes. Kelee had a huge grin on her face. She had finished the candy and was watching us intensely. "Please watch your language around Kelee too."

"Will do."

We went into the living room where the TV still showed Spongebob. "So you gonna watch this with us, or does it completely ruin your bad boy act?" I asked Rob.

He scoffed. "Hey, this stays between us if I do."

For some reason Kelee laughed.

I think she liked Rob.

So we did just that. Sat and watched Spongebob, before Rob broke the silence by saying, "So about that conversation we had,"

This was something I had been hoping to avoid. After that talk, I was still a little on edge about trusting Rob. Sarah had went home that day too, but before she left, I made sure to make up with her for being a total bitch about everything.