t e n

We needed a plan and fast if we wanted to get out of this situation. There was no way we could outrun the cop once he made it back inside his car, and I didn't think Rob or I, realized that as we sped down the road. The only sensible thing to do was something so stupid, I would probably regret it later on. I probably should've warned Rob first though.

I swerved and we spun smashing straight into a tree. Both Rob and my own screams filled the air as we did. I hit my head hard against the steering wheel, and sharp pains automatically pulsated throughout my head and shoulders. I looked over at Rob, who was moaning in pain and holding his side. He wasn't bleeding anywhere as far as I could tell.

"What the hell Heather? Were you trying to kill us both?" he snapped angrily.

"Come on," I said, moving to try to get out of the car. I regretted it when the pain worsened. "We have to go before he gets here."

Rob's eyes widened. "Are you crazy? I'm in severe pain right now!"

I didn't listen to his complainants, and just grabbed as much of our things as I possibly could. He could bitch about everything later, right now, he should be thanking me for creating a distraction. I managed to get Rob out, and we limped through the woods near where we had crashed, just as the police officer came up to the scene. I wanted so badly to stay and see what would happen, but I knew we had to get out of there. I made Rob grab the rest of our stuff.

"So where exactly are we supposed to be headed Miss Suicidal Maniac? Have you even thought everything through well enough?" Rob asked.

I rolled my eyes, then winced in pain. "Look, don't fucking bitch at me. We both knew the risks it took to try leaving this place."

"Well I didn't know we'd almost get ourselves fucking killed."

Finally, after what seemed like forever, we came upon a house. I had no idea whose it belonged to, but it was right there in the woods. It could have been abandoned, and maybe we could even just walk inside it.

"There, a house, maybe we can rest up for a bit and examine just how bad our injuries are." I suggested.

Rob snorted. "And you think that won't be the first fucking place the cops search for us? We wrecked right near this place. They have to have common sense to know which way we could've gone."

He had a point, but my head was throbbing. There was no way it was safe to just continue walking like this all night.

"Look, we have to see how bad our injuries from that accident are. We don't even know if anyone lives in that place, besides, even if they do, we could convince them not to turn us in."

"How?" Rob asked. "You really think some adults are just gonna side with two teenage kids on the run. That would get them into a lot of trouble, as well as us."

I was still convinced that going into the house was our best option right now. Besides, we didn't have a car to get very far. "Look, I'm going. You can stay here and bitch to someone else who cares, or you can come with me."

"Fine." Rob sighed. "You should totally keep bossing me around like you didn't almost kill me back there by the way."

We went up to the house and knocked. No one answered, and Rob made it a point to tell me that he was right about everything, and this was a bad idea, but after another minute, someone answered.

It was a young woman, who held her baby in her arms. It was crying and fussy.

Great, just what I needed to make my headache better. A loud screaming child.

"Can I help you?" she asked, her tone hinted a bit of annoyance, but it was understandable considering we were complete strangers showing up at her house in the early hours of the morning, and she had a screaming baby in her arms.