Loke's Plan

Leaves crunched under the weight of Lucy's boots as she ran through the forest surrounding Magnolia. It was chilly outside because of the change in seasons and she was regretting not wearing a coat. However her mind was too fuzzy to really care about the temperature. She furiously rubbed at the tears building in her eyes.

I guess I am just a big crybaby, she thought, making the tears increase. Normally she wouldn't say such mean things about her own character, after all she was usually happy and confident about who she was and who she would become, however the situation had changed when she arrived at the guild that morning.

Nothing seemed out of the ordinary at the time. Lucy and her partner Natsu had made plans to tackle a job with her rent money due date coming up. She scolded herself for running behind and was jogging to the guild as fast as she could.

She smiled when the large Fairy Tail emblem came into view. She could hear the happy noises on the inside from where she stood. Lucy's pace slowed as she approached the door. As she held her hand out to grab the handle, she could hear someone mention her name.

"Hey, has anyone seen Luce today?" said the recognizable voice of her best friend and partner.

"Sorry Natsu, I don't think she's come in yet," she could hear Mirajane saying.

"She's probably just dolling herself up like usual," said Macao from a nearby table. Lucy had a strange feeling in her gut that told her to listen a little longer. Instead of going inside like her brain told her, she stuck around to the closest window. She peered in and could see Natsu standing over Macao and Wakaba's table.

Natsu rubbed his head in thought, "I guess you're right. I suppose I can wait a few more minutes before we head out on our mission." Macao and Wakaba turned to each other then back to Natsu

"Why don't you just head out on your own Natsu. You don't really need Lucy along do you?" questioned Wakaba.

"Of course I need Lucy," said Natsu, flabbergasted, "She's my partner, why wouldn't I take her?"

Macao scratched the back of his head, placing his mug on the tabletop, "Well, you do most of the work don't you? You are stronger than her and the missions you take require a lot of firepower."

"Most of the time she just tags along while you do all of the work and both of you lose money," finished Wakaba. The conversation had gathered more attention than needed. People were starting to gather round the table and voice their own thoughts.

"She can be sort of a crybaby at times."

"Not to mention loud. She complains quite a bit too about the missions."

"And she's really heavy to carry around all the time!" laughed Happy, "REALLY heavy!" everyone in the guildhall laughed along with the exceed, knowing very well that his comment was nothing more than a joke, however the Celestial Spirit mage outside was not laughing. Lucy stared down at the cobblestone ground under her feet. Her lower lip trembled as she tried to keep quiet.

Do they really think I'm weak? Do they really think I'm a nuisance? She asked herself. She felt terrible. All the people she thought were her family were saying such hurtful things about her. Did Natsu, her partner -or maybe someone who meant more than that- think of her that way too? She couldn't bear the thought.

Without thinking, Lucy bolted down the streets and towards the forest. She wanted to go right back home, but she knew Natsu would find her there, and the last thing she wanted to be was a burden to her nakama.

That's how she ended up halfway through the forest, trying to collect herself. Her depression and tiredness soon got the better of her and she couldn't walk anymore. She stumbled over to a fallen log and collapsed on its trunk. Lucy threw her hands over her eyes and sobbed quietly to herself. She didn't know what to do anymore. She could go back to the guild, but would she have the strength to face her nakama, or Natsu? Did he agree with the rest of them after what they told him? Her mind was so full of sadness and doubt that she didn't notice her magic energy was depleting.