Chapter 59

A/N: Remember to hit that star button and leave a comment! Have Instagram? Give me a follow to view exclusive MAFIYA content!

~

'So how are the three of you holding up in this room?' Keiji asked with a wide grin.

Their captor had decided to pay them a visit again much to their collective amusement, just that they knew well enough to keep it under wraps. Besides, this was no laughing matter. Despite Keiji's inexperience, he had the power over their fates and that was a threat enough to keep her disdain for him in check.

Her estimation of him had fallen drastically, even lower than the level she had pegged his father at. Kidnapping the wrong person could result in serious repercussions.

'Are you sure you want to do this?' Juan questioned as he raised his head to his nephew. 'Fight both the Yazumi's and the Federov's?'

The side of his mouth tugged in scorn as he gazed down at them.

'I'm not doing it alone, Uncle,' he spat.

Hana wondered how Keiji could do this; mistreat a blood relative and the person who had been financially supporting his family all along. Was there no love in this family that they would turn on each other?

It was something she couldn't understand, admittedly. If Kai were ever to treat her in such a manner, she knew she would break down because in the first place, she could never envision him carrying out something like that.

'You're new to this, aren't you?' Juan went on, his jaw tight. 'The Federov mafia is now the strongest outfit in New York. You want to fight with them?'

The tension that emanated from his skin was palpable. Beside him, Hana could only remain still, locked into place by the growing strain in the room.

'I've got his wife, haven't I?' Keiji shot back, his dark eyes blazing as he gesticulated. 'I've got his brother too. I'll get rid of him like that.'

From where he stood with his fists clenched, flanked on either side by armed men, he seemed like a child, a puppet, a toy for other men.

And she reminded herself, that it was what he was, wasn't it? Keiji was sadly new to this game, and he wouldn't be standing like that before them if he didn't have Carlos behind him.

She wondered if he knew he was being used.

'Keiji, listen to yourself. What the hell are you talking about? I'm telling you right now,' Juan urged him as he staggered to his feet, 'you can still pull out from this mad plan. Carlos gave you instructions, didn't he? Obviously he wasn't thinking about you, or he wouldn't have asked you to kidnap her.'

Her captor's gaze flew to her and her skin prickled at the stare. She took in a steady bout of air, then slowly let it out again.

'Carlos says her husband cares for her very much,' he stated with a stubborn tilt of his chin. 'He'll come.'

'Did you not think about the repercussions?!' Juan yelled. 'Do you want to end up like me?! On the run for three years?!'

'I won't end up like you!' Keiji returned, his nostrils flared as he took a step to Juan.

Fear filled her as she glanced between them. She didn't want them to fight, but it seemed one would break out soon. She brought a hand to her wrist to finger the cool silver of her bracelet. She worked her fingers over the slim chain as her brow dipped into a frown, trying to calm herself yet preparing to jump up and tear them apart if need be.

'Carlos wants to get rid of Leonidas Federov and you!' Keiji went on, jabbing a finger in the air. 'When this is over, I'll be the head of the Kei-Shiragata in New York! I won't have to run away! I won't have to hide anymore!'