Chapter 28

Hana would have screamed, had she not just had her life already threatened a few minutes ago. The shock and fear of having a blade kiss her skin had not worn off, but she was not rendered senseless enough to reach for a weapon. Sweeping the edge of Leon's coat aside, she reached a hand to his back for the revolver she knew he kept at his waist. She tugged it out, then passed it neatly into his outstretched hand. Just at the first man shouted for them to keep their arms up, Leon raised his gun. With his other hand, she found herself pushed behind him.

Police? No, it couldn't be. They would have warrants or identity cards, she knew as much. They weren't the same people who had brought her here either. So who? Aleks Udinov again? Then something in her mind clicked at the familiarity of the sneer worn by the man in front. 

Aleks Udinov's party

The one who had thrown glass at her feet. She didn't even know his name, but hatred rose in her instantly. In the corner of her eye, she saw Val slowly get to his feet, his brows creased. Sofia remained on the floor, her eyes wide with fear.

'What is this?' Val asked softly.

'Your father's orders,' the man said in an aloof manner, then waved his gun at Leon. 'Weapons down, Federov. Mr Udinov wants to see you.'

Leon remained still, unheeding of the threat in his face. For one wild, horrible moment, Hana thought he wouldn't listen.

'I said,' he reiterated, 'Weapons down. Or do you need a demonstration?'

He had no choice but to acquiesce. Slowly, he lowered his arm, then bent with his knees to leave his weapon on the coffee table. The tap of metal on wood made the situation even more resolute; they couldn't get out of this one, not with just the two of them. 

Once more, she felt the dread of the situation. It reminded her of the time years ago during the gang war, when she had been captured by Juan. Leon had the luck of finding and rescuing her now. But who would find them later? His eyes had flown to her briefly as he turned his head back. The uncertainty in them was evident, but they would have to make a brave face of it.

'Mrs Federov will remain here,' Val said, with a step in their direction. His eyes flew to her hastily, scant reassurance in them.

'Mr Udinov wants to see her too,' the man announced loudly, rendering null Val's statement.

Hana glanced between him and Val at the blatant disrespect of his tone, at the same time as cold dread flooded her body. None of her father's men would dare to speak to her in this manner, without looking, chin tilted, tone loud and brash. In front of her, Leon had turned into a block of stone.

'What does he need with her?' His tone had been harsh, demanding, the wrong sort of tone to use with people who thought highly of themselves and who currently had a gun pointed at them. But Leon was who he was, the Federov's pakhan and this man's boss too.

He swaggered up to Leon, eyeing him up and down with his mouth twisted in scorn. Hana wished, that somewhere deep in her, she would be daring enough to fulfil her fantasy of pulling out her blade and slashing him somewhere, anywhere to satisfy the anger from their previous encounter.

'Hey. Boy,' he spat. 'You just do as you're told.'

Two men came forth to grab Leon by his arms. They didn't have to, for he didn't struggle. He had looked back at her as he was led out, then even before she could cry out, he was knocked out by the end of a pistol. Hana had shouted and dashed to him when he collapsed between them, but she was held back. She could only watch in silent fury as Leon was dragged roughly and unceremoniously hefted into a waiting laundry cart.