chapter five: seven minutes

betty

it was time for the party and veronica had picked out a simple black dress that was stuffed in the back of my closet while she wore something a bit more revealing. we had to tell my mom we were going to the library (which she somehow believed), and cheryl drove us over to her house. her driving was careless and reckless i legitimately screamed at her when she reached a speed bump.

the place was already packed twenty minutes into the celebration. i stayed close to veronica because i didn't want to get lost in the crowds. people from different schools came and some from our school that weren't cheerleaders or football players but were invited anyway.

"hey betty, i think they're playing seven minutes in heaven." veronica shouted over the music, giving me a smirk, "let's go!" without letting me have a say in the matter she pulled me to the circle of teenagers. it was a classic and timeless game, but i could see the fun in it.

everyone crowded around an empty bottle in the middle, somebody i didn't recognize ready to spin it. i didn't feel like playing but i didn't want to let veronica down, she looked so excited to have fun without any stress included, i couldn't break her heart like that, even though i wanted to right now.

veronica glanced at me and i quickly turned my head to the centre, coughing to pretend i wasn't staring at her. veronica smiled with a laugh before we both watched the bottle spin around.

it landed on archie, i expected myself to be more upset but i didn't feel much with him anymore. he's still my best friend but i don't have those romantic feelings, his football friends patted him on the back while archie rolled his eyes, he was still the same.

the bottle spun again only this time, landing in between the two of us.

"okay, veronica! your turn." cheryl smirked.