chapter fourteen: movie night fights

veronica

i watched the movie with betty, saturday nights were our movie nights and it was always something i'd look forward to.

  "betty, are you planning to tell our friends and family about us anytime soon?" i let my head rest on her shoulder. it's been bothering me since we started dating, and it felt like she was ashamed to be with me.

"ronnie - you know i can't." betty answered. i knew her mother wasn't very accepting of betty, even if she was straight. but hiding from our friends?

"but why? is our relationship just not good enough yet?" i sat up on the couch. i had admitted that i was falling in love with her, i was at a loss.
"you know that's not it! i want to be with you, but it's hard to come out to everybody like this!" our voices started getting louder.
"i love you, betty! why can't you just do this one thing for me, you don't even have to come out to your mom or family members, which you still have yet to tell me about!" unresolved issues came to the surface, my heart was starting to speed up. fighting with betty was a whole different part to our relationship i wasn't ready for.

"i- i," betty stammered to say something. i knew betty's family was something she didn't want to talk about and i attacked her for it,

"betty... i'm sorry." i said quieter. i reached my hand out and she shot it back. i knew i really messed up,
"i'm sorry b, i know you don't like talking about them." i tried again. tears welled up in her eyes,

"i think i should just go." betty said. she turned her back to me and walked away, grabbing her jacket before she left.

i didn't know what to do. it's always been so nice with betty, she's been my rock and now that we're in some dumb fight, i didn't know really who to talk to.