chapter nine: first date

would u prefer if i published a bunch of short chapters at once or long chapters but maybe take a bit longer to update? i'm kinda just doing chapters 200 - 500 words rn so if u want it longer let me know. this chapter is about 900+ words because somebody asked to make it longer haha

veronica

tonight i had my date with betty. we were going to pop's, which sure wasn't fancy or anything but it was something that made us both feel comfortable. i decided on a gorgeous black dress i bought back in new york and put on a pair of earrings that complements it, and put a coat over myself. i was beyond nervous because i had never really felt this way about someone, and it's only been a couple of months since i've known her. we were both going to meet at pop's at eight, and right now it was 7:45 and i was all ready, my makeup done and all. i decided on going early to the venue because it better than being late and just embarrassing myself completely, right?

once i had arrived at pop's i saw betty already sitting there, looking around the diner with two milkshakes on the table in her booth. my mom was luckily not working here right now so i wouldn't have to face the whole conversation on "oh who's this?" and "she seems nice!"

i breathed in, thinking of some good conversational topics just in case the date goes bad. what if she brings up my past, i don't understand why this was so nerve wracking, veronica lodge did not get nervous. i could trust betty with my life, i guess it's because of the date with the guy who slut-shamed me i assume all dates at pop's are bad ones. anyways, i walk up to her and take a seat down across from her, letting my coat hang off my shoulder and my worries float away.

"hey." i take the milkshake and eat the cherry on top first. "hi, veronica... you look great." betty looks at me up and down. we were both smiling widely and we secretly stared at each other while the other wasn't looking, our love story is the sappiest thing if it as a movie i'd laugh.

"thanks, betty. you look pretty amazing yourself." i winked with a giggle, making betty's cheeks turn into a deep shade of red. "thank you for coming today, ronnie. i was nervous you'd bail last minute or maybe text me something like that you got sick." betty sighed and i was about to object, but i could understand why she thought that. i was the stereotypical bad girl of this small town.

"betty, there's nothing else i'd rather be doing on a friday night than be with you." i reached my hand out on the table to hold her hand. our relationship was just beginning and i didn't want to mess up but giving her the wrong idea that i was into some other random guy at school. i was over archie, and though he wasn't very much over me i didn't exactly care right now.

"good." she laughed, "well, tell me more about yourself. what did you do back in new york?" betty asked. great, she brought up the number one thing i didn't feel like talking about. that's okay, i'll just sugarcoat it. "well, i went to a regular high school. i was popular mainly because of my dad who... you know who he is. i had some boyfriends i guess and my mom was also a business woman." i explained to her whole dodging most of the interesting parts about my life.
betty hummed,

"your life seemed great there." she didn't dig into the subject of my dad, "well, i have a sister named polly. she's in a group home now and my parents think it's because of that dead boy, cheryl's twin brother jason blossom. anyway, you're actually my first.. real, date." betty told me. i could tell she really didn't want to talk more about her sister so she changed the subject to us again.

"really?" a sly smirk fell onto my face, "well good to know." i took a sip out of my milkshake. there wasn't any sexual meaning behind those words, it just gave me a bunch of amazing date ideas to surprise her with. betty took a sip of her milkshake as well. we were both halfway done through it.

"veronica you're probably the prettiest girl i've gotten to know in my life. you're funny, sweet and you make really good brownies." betty quickly blurted out. i was taken back, not expecting a compliment like that. it was my turn to blush.

"and you're the most beautiful girl i've ever seen, betty." we both leaned over the table to kiss each other before going back to our seats. it was cheesy but it's like every time we kissed it was like the first time.

we both exchanged longing looks as we sipped our milkshakes and talked a bit about each other. i laughed at one of her puns before seeing archie and jughead walk in. i look at both of them and betty turns as well to see what i was looking at. they both sit next to us, which set me off.

"are you guys on a date?" jughead jokingly said but stared at me as if he was demanding an answer. "actually -" i almost told the truth before betty interrupted, "no, no we're not." i guess she wasn't ready to come out of the closet yet. i can wait, as long as we're together. jughead nodded but didn't seem to believe the answer while archie seemed relieved. why did archie still like me? there was that rumour he had that thing with ms. grundy anyway. but, it didn't matter.

the four of us sat together, it wasn't only the start of betty and i's relationship, but the start of a friendship.