Chapter Four

Garroth's POV

I bolted to where Annie's screams had come from.

A good quarter of the O'khasis guards were following behind me, hot on my tail, but I wasn't going to wait for them to catch up to me.

I was afraid that if I stopped...that if I stopped it might be too late.

In the distance, I spot a clearing. Within a second, I knew instantly where I was and knew I was in the right place, the bridge in the middle a clear landmark. Slowing down, but still keeping at a steady jog, I pulled out my sword, holding it steady in my right hand. The guards seemed to eventually catch up when I was about to enter the clearing. I looked over my shoulder and gave them a short nod and faced the clearing, taking just a few steps cautiously before I realized,

I was too late.

Annie sat on the ground, holding a limp and motionless Vylad to her. His head was on her folded lap, arms encircling his head as she curled over him. Slowly, she turned her head up to me, most likely she heard the sound of dying grass under my feet. She had, what seemed, a deep gash on her cheek and tears streaming down her face, falling off her chin and onto Vylad.

"G-Garroth," She said my name, her voice shaky and quiet, somehow recognizing me through tear filled eyes, before she closed her eyes tight and let out a scream filled with anguish. It was the kind of scream that brought you back to reality and made your blood run cold.

I dropped my sword, it landing with a cold clank behind me, and ran to her. Quickly, I knelt beside her and held her against my chest tightly, placing my arm around her shoulders. She sobbed and each one was absolutely heartbreaking. I could feel tears well up in the corners my eyes, them threatening to fall down my cheeks, but I held them back.

I needed to stay strong.

For Annie.

I carefully moved Vylad's body away from her, struggling slightly, and picked her up into my arms. She instantly clung to my chest, crying into it.

"Please bring him back to town," I said to the guards as I walked past them and out of the clearing. I could hear the hint of weakness in my voice.

I shook my head, I needed to stay strong, I repeated to myself. For Annie.

Liar, a small voice said from the back of my mind and I instantly pushed it away. For. Annie.

The guards nodded and pass me with a quick walk as I made my way back to town with Annie in my arms. Her sobs turned into whimpers as we started to get closer. I tried to hold back my tears but it was hard. Eventually, a few lost tears fell down my cheeks, unbeknownst to me as they fell on a surprised Annie. When we reached town Mother and Father were waiting by the gate with worried looks on their faces. Mother saw me and ran towards me.

"Garroth! We heard the screams! What happened? Where's Vylad?" She said, trying her best to stay calm.