Chapter Twenty-Two

Annie's POV

I walk silently towards the front gate, a cool air surrounding me. Giving a slight wave to the guards, I leave the safety of the town and enter the unforgiving forest.

Getting deeper into the thick trees, I look around, slowly, taking in my surroundings. I was going to calm myself. Calm down. And how was I going to do that?

By shooting like a madman, of course.

I find a spot with large trees on either side of a small pathway. The trees were big enough, meaning also thick enough, for them to not to be too damaged by the arrows, so I decided that this was good enough to start shooting here.

I examine my bow before grabbing an arrow from my back and loading it. Pointing, I aim at the first tree in my sight before breathing in and out, over and over for a few times while short puffs of air escape my parted lips, before....

FIRE.

I fire with a sharp breath as I hit the tree,quickening my pace as I gallop down the path.

Running down the path. Firing arrows left and right at trees. Blood was pumping. Adrenaline going at full speed. It was like the rest of the world was going in slow motion while I was the fastest thing around. It caused me to smile and chuckle each time I hit the tree dead center.

It was working.

As I fired, my anger disappeared...but so did my caution. Not that I realized.

I was still hitting the trees, but, I wasn't paying attention to anything but hitting the trees. All that was there were trees, me,my bow, and my arrows. The rest of the world practically...disappeared.

I keep firing and don't notice that I'm running out of tree. I hit the last tree before turning and firing a blind arrow....an arrow that causes someone to shriek, like a little girl, as it hits the tree.

A very familiar chuckle rings out, making my eyes shoot wide open. Fuuuuudgiiiing whyyyyyy.

"Almost hit the bullseye, didn'tcha, sweetheart?" Eli says laughing, as if it was the funniest thing, pulling the arrow from the tree and walking towards me.

"Eli! I am so, so, so sorry I didn't-" I start before being cut off by him.

"Heh, it's fine, I'm guuuuessing you didn't see that you maaay have ran out of trees to shoot...amiright?"

I nod, feeling my face erupt in a light pink blush. He looks up at the sky. The sun had just barely rose, shooting rays of gold across the now almost light blue sky.

"Have you been out here all night?" he asks, tossing the arrow for me to catch.

"No, only about...maybe an hour," I reply, putting the arrow back in the quiver, looking over my shoulder as to make sure not to miss it.

"Well we could have a early morning picnic, since you're awake and all." He says, smiling softly, as he walks towards me, placing his arm around my shoulder.

"Sure! We can stop by my house and grab a blanket and some sandwiches I made last night!" I say as I run ahead, he catching up after me a few moments later.

We get back to the guest house just as the sun has fully risen above the mountains and now stood proudly in the baby blue sky.

Katelyn is most likely up already so it was probably a good idea that I left a note for her saying that I had gone out to clear my mind.

We walk into the house to hear footsteps from upstairs.

"Annie! Is that you?! It better be! You still have to finish packing before we leave for O'khasis tonight!" She yells downstairs. I glare up them in thought. I bite my lip, slightly.