Chapter Fifteen

The next day...

Annie's POV

I woke up, early, the next morning. Yawning, I look out to my window. The morning sun was just peeking over the bright green hill tops, creating shadows of trees and houses that dotted the landscape beautifully behind the guest house. The room I was staying in was fairly big.

It had a soft birch wood bed with cloud grey sheets and a small, matching, birch wooden nightstand next to it. On the other side of the room was a fairly large dresser, which was still empty since I never got around to unpacking my things into it. There was a small desk in the corner that I had placed my bow on for the night. I got quickly and stretched before getting ready.

I slipped out of my grey pajama pants and red pajama t-shirt and into my jury uniform and braided my hair back before heading downstairs to eat breakfast. Katelyn wasn't awake yet, surprisingly, so I decided to make a simple breakfast of bacon, scrambled eggs, and buttered toast. By the time I finished Katelyn had made her way downstairs and seemed surprised, most likely that I had been awake before her, for once.

"Since when have you ever been up before me?" Katelyn said as she grabbed a piece of toast off the plate, already smothered in butter.

"Since you slept in," I replied sassily as I handed her a plate filled with bacon and eggs

We ate breakfast in a comforting silence before heading out to help around the village. At one point in the morning, I saw Eli and waved at him. He waved back and once out of earshot, Katelyn then continued teasing me about him.

Once the afternoon rolled around Katelyn and I headed back to the guest house to rest before continuing our daily duties.

"So, any plans with Eli today?" Katelyn asked teasingly. I sighed a tired sigh and looked back up to her. She was currently eating an apple. Of course.

"No, I haven't seen him since this morning meaning that I have not spoken to him either," I replied, watching her with a slight glare that either she didn't notice or ignored.

Later that afternoon, I volunteered to go on the patrol so the guards could take a break. In the middle of my patrol, the sky started turning from a bright baby blue to a dark smokey grey. Eventually, it started to rain but it didn't bother me too much. Then, as I walked into a clearing in the forest, lightning struck a few yards away from me. I screamed and fell backwards into a mud puddle that had already formed.

When I stood back up I was soaking wet, covered in mud and, worst of all, freezing. Not to mention that the weather was getting worse by the minute. I saw an old oak tree a few feet away and started to walk towards it, but, as fate would have it, I slipped again and fell face first into the muddy ground.

I stood back up again after a few moments of scrawling and continued my short trek over to the tree. That was when lightning struck a few yards behind me... again. A high-pitched scream left me and I fell forward this time, banging my forehead on the trunk of the oak tree in the process. I fell at the bottom of the tree and winced in pain as a few leaves fell from the branches above me.

Was that really worth it? I thought to myself.

I carefully sat up and leaned against the tree and began to assess the damage. I had a cut on my forehead, which was currently bleeding, I had torn open the knees of my uniform and my hair was covered in so much mud that it appeared to be gross sticky brown instead of my natural soft flowing blonde. Not to also mention that I was coated in mud from head to toe and, did I mention this already?...was freezing cold.