Chapter Nine

Annie's POV

Kaitlyn and I had both told each other what made us join the jury and after that, she invited me to have lunch with her and Jeffery under the big tree by the gates of O'khasis. I spent most of my time before lunch at the archery fields practicing, or better yet, clearing my head. Archery is my escape from the world. When I have a bow in my hand and an arrow in the drawstring the rest of the world disappears.

After practicing for a few hours I headed to the tree with a small lunch that I had made for myself. Jeffery and Kaitlyn were already there and Kaitlyn waved when she saw me walking towards the tree. I waved back and sped up my pace towards the tree. I had never talked to Jeffery before. He had dark brown hair and light green eyes. He looked a little like Vylad. I sat down beside Kaitlyn.

"Annie this is Jeffery, Jeffery this is Annie," Kaitlyn said.

I waved at him shyly and he waved back with a smile.

"Jeffery is protecting his daughter by joining the jury," Kaitlyn said to me.

"What's her name?" I asked Jeffery, "If you don't feel comfortable telling me, that's okay."

There was silence for a moment and I looked down at the ground. Then Jeffery said,

"Her name is Abby."

I looked up at him and smiled. It was the first time I had smiled in a long time.

"That's a beautiful name," I said quietly.

He smiled at me.

"Anyways, I had a request for the three of us," Kaitlyn said, "I think we should form an alliance between the three of us. Since we all are in the jury for somewhat of the same reason."

We nodded.

"Good so, can we shake on it?" She asked.

We all shook each other's hands and then the alliance was formed. I had to admit. It was pretty good to have allies with the same problem as you.