Chapter Twenty-five

Annie's POV

Everything is dark. Pitch black, even. But, I can still hear what's happening around me.

The guards yelling for help.

My mother screaming for me to wake up.

My father firmly asking the guards if they knew what had happened.

"Annie! Come on! Wake up! P-please wake up!" My mother screams as I feel her run her hand through my hair, over and over, in a soothing way. I feel, what I assume to be her sleeve, wipe the blood away from the corner of my mouth.

I want to give her a hug, cry to her, but I can't. I can't move. I can't speak. I can't see.

I try screaming, but no sound emerges.

A-am I...dead? The question rises, making me realize the possibility, I-I can't be dead...right? I just can't be. What about Katelyn? Jeffrey? Chelsea? Mom? Dad? Eli? Garroth?

V-Vylad?

"She's breathing, not very well, but she is," I hear, what I assume to be one of the guards, say.

Someone places their hand over my wound, most likely to try to stop any further bleeding. It's barely effective. I almost wish I could scream as the addition of pressure makes the pain even worse.

Moments later, I can feel myself being moved once more. I'm laid on a somewhat softer material, well, at least softer compared to the hard, cold, snow covered ground that I had been laying on moments earlier. It might be a blanket, stretcher or something of the like.

They began to move me, once more, as I felt something, rather someone, grab my hand. I can't tell who it is, but, I want to squeeze their hand back, as if it was my grip on reality.

My hearing starts to go fuzzy again, with in the black box around me. The voices turn into mumbles and then into muffled sounds. The muffled sounds  get more frantic as another one joins the mix. A feminine one. I can't make it out, but it seems familiar.

The sounds become even more frantic as well and even more unclear. I put two and two together. I am dying. Slowly, but it's happening. The frantic muffled voices are...are people trying to save me?

No.

I wasn't going to go down so easy.

I try taking deep breaths, trying to get myself to breathe more regularly, or
breath at all. It doesn't work. Nothing happens.

I try to focus on the voices to hear what they're saying. I concentrate and concentrate until they start to become clearer. It's working, barely. Eventually, they're just clear enough to hear.

"A-annie j-just stay with us okay? I-I can't lose you too," Mom says, it comes out as a mutter but I can tell it's almost a scream.

I can't lose you too, that line punches me in the gut. Ahhh...that stings like a biiiiieeeee. A bee. How would she take the news if she found out? If she found out who did this?

The voices became muffled once more.

No, I lost my concentration and now I was slipping. I try to regain it, but it doesn't work. All the audio around me starts to fade, I'm dying. Right at this moment. I had let everyone down. I was scared. I didn't want to die.  I wanted to scream.

To cry.

To wake up from this nightmare.

...

I can't. Because this isn't a nightmare.

This is real.

The last thing I hear is a muffled frantic scream, my mother's voice becoming more distant as I assume that she was moved away from me by someone. The scream, I'm not able to make out at all, but it makes me lose all hope as the audio fades away to a silence and I'm left in the quiet and lonely darkness.