Close My Eyes, Bite My Tongue

My phone buzzed in my hands.

"Who is it?" Pete asked.

"I don't know it says unknown" I said shrugging.  He took it and answered for me.

"Hello?" He stared at me then pulled the phone away from his ear "Whoever it was they hung up" he said shrugging.

"Go to work" I said staring at the clock.  He smirked and grabbed my hips pulling me against him. 

"Fine, but I'll miss you" he said.  He leaned down and kissed me. I was gonna be alone most of the night. "Maybe I should stay" he said biting his lip.

"Why?" I asked.

"I just have a bad feeling" he said. I shrugged.

"I'll be okay" I said. He smiled a little and leaned down to kiss me. "I adore you" I whispered.

"I worship you" he said.

"I love you" I mumbled.

"I love you too" He grabbed his jacket and pulled it on. "I'll be back before you know it"

"I know" I said. I flopped on the couch as he walked out the door. He looked back at me one more time with a worried look on his face. Worry wart.
-----
I woke up to the door opening.

"Pete?" I asked. Sleepily. He moved closer and shut the door slowly. I couldn't see him well but I saw his silhouette. "Hey" I said gently. He sat down next to me on the bed and started combing his fingers through my hair. "I love you Pete" I sighed shutting my eyes again. I let my breathing even until I was asleep again.
------
I woke up again, this time it was light and Pete was sound asleep next to me. I ran my fingers through his hair like he did to me. He stirred a bit and woke up.

"Hey" I said gently.

"Hey, you were asleep when I got home, you must've been tired" he sat up.

"Only because you put me back to sleep" I said. He raised his eyebrow. "What?" I asked.

"Patrick, you were dead asleep in this bed when I got home last night, I didn't put you back to sleep"

"Yes you did, you came in at eleven" I said.

"I didn't get home until Twelve" he said "I never put you back to sleep" I sat up alarmed now.

"I-I" I gulped "You were here!" I yelled "You were running your hand through my hair! I told you I loved you!"

"Patrick I wasn't here last night!" he yelled. I felt like I was gonna throw up "You're pale" he said.

"S-someone was in the house" I said "Someone put me back to sleep last night Pete, they sat on your side of the bed and they ran their fingers through my hair until I fell back asleep now please for the love of god tell me it was you and that you're playing a big joke one me!" He stared at me like he wished it was all one big joke. His face said it all. It wasn't him. "Oh my god!" I said. I ran to the bathroom and spilled my guts into the toilet. Pete came in after me. He rubbed my back while I threw up, that was all he could do at this point. "Someone was in our house last night"

"Maybe you dreamt it all" he said.

"Pete, someone was here, someone put me back to bed" I said. I stood up and brushed my teeth after flushing the toilet. I rinsed with mouthwash then turned to face him.

"You could've been paranoid Patrick, you probably imagined it all" he said. I stared at the ground unconvinced "You were tired and it was your first night alone in the house since we moved here two months ago. Maybe you were just scared and tired and you imagined me" I frowned at him and nodded.

"Maybe" I whispered. Now, I felt crazy.

"The door was locked when I got home just like it was when I left" he said. I nodded again.

"Okay" I whispered "Maybe I am crazy"

"You're not crazy" he said. I shrugged.

"Yeah" I mumbled. I stared at him. "Pete"

"Hm?"

"Check the curtains" I whispered. He went a little pale "And the fridge" He slowly looked out of our bathroom. 

"No" he said.  I looked over his shoulder.  Neat and perfect curtains.  He ran downstairs so I followed him.  We walked over to the fridge and opened it up.  It was neatened out.  I dropped to my knees holding my head in my hands.  "Okay" he said "No, calm down" He dropped next to me "Patrick listen to me" he said gently "Listen to me" He took my hands down "There's no reason to get upset, maybe it's nothing"

"The fridge is completely beautiful and you wanna tell me that's nothing!?" I yelled.  He looked desperate.  Desperate to tell me it was okay. 

"Patrick, listen, I'm right here" he said "Right here and I'm not gonna let anyone hurt you"

"I'm scared" I whispered.

"But you're brave" he said gently "Absolutely brave"

"What now?"

"We leave for the night, hopefully he'll just go home" he said running his thumb over my lips "We're not moving again, we love this place"

"I know" I whispered.

"Come on" He helped me stand "Let's pack what we need"