How She Got There

The girl was her neighbor. Well, used to be her neighbor.

Camila remembered stumbling back into her apartment complex late last night. She was stopped by a small man in a suit.

Her memory was blurry but she remembered him telling her something about her deadline being up. He confiscated her room key. Camila had failed to pay her rent for many months and had received multiple warnings, but she could not afford to pay for her apartment. She drunkenly begged the man to let her stay for one more night but he refused.

Not knowing where to go, she stumbled into the elevator and pressed the button labeled with a 3. She didn't know anyone else in the apartment building but not knowing what else to do, she headed up to the floor that used to hold her home.

Camila was too drunk to be scared, or to really even care at that moment. She walked down the hallway and leaned her head against her old apartment door. Nothing in there was worth anything to her. The only thing that was really in there were some more clothing. Camila didn't really have anything of value.

She stumbled a bit to the left and lost her balance. Trying to stop herself from falling, she grabbed onto the handle of the next door. She was expecting the door to be locked, as most were at this time of night, but instead the door was pushed open.

Camila knew it would be illegal to step foot in this person's house but her judgment was clouded and she didn't have anywhere else to go.

Shaking her head, she took a step into the apartment that greatly resembled hers. Besides the fact that it held many more possessions then hers, it was almost identical. She couldn't recall who lived there. Camila never really payed attention to her surroundings anymore.

She used to have a job but recently gotten fired for never showing up. When she did happen to show up she was never sober, or always hung over.

Camila sat up abruptly and felt the pounding in her head worsen.
"Hey hey. Take it easy. Here, lay back down." The girl instructed in a quiet, gentle tone. Camila obliged and as soon as her head hit the pillow she fell back to sleep.