09: Parental Problems

To the familiar ones whose names still make you smile, and their humor never grows old and whose company is always appreciated.

BrainNemesis

••••••

It took me a few minutes to compose myself and I was grateful that there was nobody around who had witnessed my breakdown. And it took me a few more minutes to apply my makeup again. I was in a bit of a rush because my shift started in fifteen minutes.

When I stepped out of the bathroom, I was a bit taken aback to find Ace sitting on a chair close to the bathroom door. His hands were folded and he kept bouncing his left leg lightly. When he caught my eye, his leg stopped and he sat up straighter.

I started walking in the opposite direction, clutching my purse tighter. I didn't know how I was supposed to feel. I hadn't expected him to wait for me all this time so I didn't know if I should give him a chance or if he wasn't worth my time.

"Wilson," he called from behind but I kept walking. "Hey!"

I heard his footsteps now and increased my pace.

"Wilso- fūck! Will you just listen to what I have to say?"

"I know what you say is būllshit so I'm not interested," I replied, walking as fast as I could with high heels.

"I'm sorry," he said after a pause but I didn't stop.

"Listen," he tried again. "Listen, Megan, listen!"

This time he jogged past me and came to a stop in front of me. His grey eyes were dead serious but I didn't look into them for too long. I tried to sidestep him but he was quicker, always predicting my next move accurately.

I stamped my foot down, irritated, ignoring the pain that shot up my leg because of my heel. "What?!" I snapped at him and caught his eyes widen.

He gave a low whistle. "Wow, you're a fierce one, aren't you?"

Before I could say anything, he raised his hands up and spoke, "I'm sorry, okay?"

He paused for a second, his hands still up as if in surrender. I was staring sideways so I didn't have to look at him.

"I know I was being a dìck earlier," he continued. "I shouldn't have said that and I apologize."

I was still looking away from him. "Why?"

"Why what?"

I looked into his eyes, confronting him. "Why were you being a dìck then?"

His hands lowered slowly as he seemed to think about my question. This time, he broke eye contact and looked away. I folded my arms, waiting for a response.

"The answer to that isn't simple," he muttered under his breath.

"I've got time," I told him, even though I knew that my shift started in less than ten minutes now. I wanted to hear this.

When he didn't respond right away, I said, "Don't tell me that you've got some weird personality disorder."

He smiled at that. "I wish. That would've been a much easier answer."

His gaze was still fixed on something else and I caught the crashing waves in his eyes. "Ace..."

He turned his eyes to me when I said his name and I took a step closer. "Tell me," I prompted. "Tell me why your eyes are so detached from most of your actions."