19: Bìtchy Customers

To the ones who make art and are the sweetest sugar buns 😂💕

XantheRowd

••••••

It wasn't surprising when word about where I worked also became common knowledge among people.

Just yesterday, I caught a bunch of guys from one of my classes wandering around the store. They kept nodding towards me as I worked and I pretended to ignore them. Yui noticed them as well but didn't say anything for which I was grateful.

They got bored eventually and left sometime before my break. I told Yui that I didn't feel like eating anything today and locked myself in the bathroom. I didn't want to deal with anyone.

The harassing in school also increased up a notch as pretty much everybody knew my secret now - or at least, the exaggerated version of it where I slept around with guys for money. One of the really outrageous rumors was that Mary was apparently my own daughter, whom I had conceived after an affair with my boss.

The girl whom I caught saying all this ended up with a black eye and with a few of her hair pulled out. I received detention for my actions but I couldn't care less. I was turning into a raging machine.

These rumors were getting out of hand and it seemed like nobody had anything better to do than to just talk and spread lies about me. The more impossible they were, the better.

I was always worrying about what rumors would be conjured up next and I started eating less. My mom noticed these little changes in me and grew concerned.

"Are you sure everything's okay? You can always talk to me, you know."

"I know that," I replied, nodding slowly while closing my eyes. I tired easily these days.

"What's wrong then?" She promoted as she fed a piece of bread to Mary.

I was quiet for a long time.

"Goodnight," I mumbled lightly, getting up and walking away from the table. She didn't respond.

The next day, things didn't get any better because after class, I found doodles and scratches on my car. I blinked back the tears as I tried rubbing off the colorful drawings of dìcks on the hood of my car. It was pointless. They weren't coming off and frustrated, I got into the car and started the engine.

What was my mom going to think if she saw this?

I turned the radio in my car all the way up and just drove. At red lights, I would get disapproving stares from people in the cars around me so I avoided eye contact. I just hoped I wouldn't run into a police officer.

I took my car to the nearest car wash where I had to awkwardly tell that I wanted the drawings on my car washed.

"So you want the cōcks removed, miss?" The guy at the desk asked bluntly, raising an eyebrow.

"Um, yeah. No more cōcks."

"Gotcha."

The car wash didn't cost me much but it take a heavy toll on my wallet since that money was supposed to last me another two weeks for lunch at work. I cursed the person who did this and wondered if they'll do something like this again. Maybe it was best to walk to school or get an Uber to avoid paying for any more car washes.

I sighed out loud as I turned the radio off and drove into the parking lot of the mall. It was time for work and more possible humiliation in case I ran into someone from school.

Yui greeted me when I walked in Zara and I waved back, not as enthusiastic as her. I changed into my uniform and took my place behind the counter. It was an uneventful two hours before the doors opened and in walked, none other than Tasha and her squad.

Fūck my life.

Tasha's eyes found me almost instantly and she smirked, letting the door shut behind her. She looked away a few seconds later and went to browse through the clothes on the rack. My heart was already beating fast and I knew that she was up to no good.

At school, it was different. But if it's at work, I could end up losing my job and if word got out about my not-so-flattering reputation, it would be difficult to get hired anywhere.

Lottie was there too and when our eyes met, she looked away immediately and just stood there awkwardly, studying her feet. The others, Addy, Molly and Holly were watching me with disbelief as they pretended to look at the clothes too.

My fists clenched behind the counter and I took deep breaths to calm myself. Yui, came in from the back just then and greeted the customers.

"Hi, welcome to Zara! How may I help you?"

"Thanks, but we're just looking around for now," said Tasha.

"Of course," Yui replied and walked to stand in front of the counter.

"You okay?" She asked me. "You look like you've seen a ghost."

"I'm fine. It's just... they ar-"

"Excuse me!"

We both turned around to find Tasha signaling us and when Yui made to go towards her, she shook her head. "I was talking to her," she said, nodding at me and I stepped out from behind the counter slowly. This bìtch...

I could let her have it but then the consequences would be dire. I had to think about the bigger picture and not mess things up more than they already are.

"I like this top but I don't think it's the right size for me," Tasha said, holding out a white tank top. I reached out to take it from her when she let go of the hanger and the top fell to the floor near her feet.

"Oops," she giggled, obviously having the time of her life. I bit the inside of my check to keep myself from saying anything as I bent down and quickly grabbed the top from the floor.

"No worries," I replied, smiling wide. "Let me go and see if we have your size. This is um," I glanced down to check the tag on the back of the top and then back at her again, "this is extra small so let me see if I can fetch a large size for you."

I smiled sweetly at her before walking away to the back to muffle my laughter. The evident anger on her face was so worth it.

••••••