11: Backstories and Baby Talk

To the talented ones who continue to dance with words, creating their own melody.

dustychalks

••••••

"I think you've still got some cheese on your cheek."

"Not falling for that," I chuckled.

"But seriously though, you were like a wild animal with those nachos," he remarked, an amused smile on his face. "I didn't expect you to eat anything."

"Because I seem like the girl who always orders a salad?" I looked towards him, as he continued to drive.

He took his time while answering. "Well, yeah," he said slowly. "And I know that you'll probably call me a hypocrite for categorizing you in a certain way or judging you, when I myself am a victim of the whole vicious cycle. But..."

He paused.

"We're all victims in one way or another," I spoke softly, my eyes on his face. "We've been hurt by others and we've hurt others too."

"It's funny, isn't it? How there's not a bad guy or a good guy in real life. It's just everyone's a mixture of everything, bad and good."

There was silence between us for a while before I asked, "So what would that make you?"

Ace glanced over to me with a raised eyebrow.

"That probably makes you a good bad boy," I said and his lips twitched.

"A good bad boy, indeed..." He murmured under his breath and a few seconds later, the car came to a stop and he looked at me again, studying me. He had parked outside of my house.

I sat up straight and rubbed my eyes. I had started to get sleepy and was having a hard time keeping my eyes open. "Thanks," I stifled a yawn and opened the door.

"For the fingering? You're more than welcome to it again."

I made a face and hit his arm, causing his smile to widen. "I meant for the food."

"Sure you did."

I was about to retort but from the corner of my eye, I caught the front door of my house opening and watched in surprise as my mother came into view. She had a furious expression on her face as she stood there, glaring at the both of us.

"Shìt..."

I was more annoyed than worried at being caught so late out. This meant that my mom would give me another lecture and right now the only thing I was in the mood for, was sleep.

I sighed loudly as I stepped out of the car. "See you later."

Ace flashed me a thumbs-out. "I don't think I'm welcome to your house anytime soon, though."

I leaned down just before closing the door. "Even if you were, don't flatter yourself by thinking that I would've invited you."

I caught sight of his smile just before I closed the door and walked around the car to get home. I heard him drive away as I reached my mom and braced myself. She was blocking the entrance and I didn't miss the disappointment in her eyes. The look that she was giving me right now was the look that always made me feel guilty and so I avoided her eyes.