14: Threats and Confrontations

To the old friends who, even after long silences, feel as though they never left.

TheGreatSphinx

••••••

If I could count on Tasha for one thing, it was information and she did provide me with loads by the next day. She told me that Abby Jolie was a fairly new student and that she had only moved here a few months ago with her dad and little brother.

"Her mummy got a divorce and ran off with some other dude," said Tasha, her eyes glued to her phone as she scrolled down through Abby's Instagram profile. I tried not to look over her shoulder but couldn't help it. Some of the shots taken were amazing and almost all her photos were at the beach. She was either tanning or surfing.

Lottie who was sitting beside Tasha, nodded her head approvingly. "Girl's got a killer body, that's for sure. No wonder Ace's been around her lately."

I refrained myself from saying anything, afraid that my jealously would give me away and instead started to dig around for my makeup palette in my purse.

"What's her Achilles's heel then?" I asked casually, giving up on looking for the palette.

Tasha turned to me, frowning. "Not sure yet but why are we looking for it again?"

"We," I said, emphasizing on the word, "need to properly introduce ourselves."

"We wouldn't even have noticed her in the first place but the fact that she's only been here for a few months and already has Ace's attention is impressive. I mean, dang." Lottie nodded again.

My fingers clenched but I managed to keep a straight face. "Exactly. We need to give her a proper welcome and make sure that she doesn't get too cocky after the attention she's been receiving."

Lottie turned to Tasha. "Why did she move here anyway?"

Tasha thought about it for a few seconds and muttered, "I'm not sure but... wait."

She looked up at me, her eyes gleaming. "I might have found her Achilles heel after all."

I smirked. "Attagirl."

----

Attacks aren't always visible or fast.

There are slow and poisonous ones that take you by surprise when you're least expecting it and even though, they're cruelly slow, they're the ones that are the most deadliest because they destroy you inside out.

What I did with Jesse was upfront but this time, I went for the silent and indirect hit with Abby. We didn't "properly introduce" ourselves to her like I had originally planned but instead we remained in the shadows and observed.

I found out that one of the main reasons Abby moved here in the first place is because she and her family wanted to get away from their mother. What she had done haunted them and the familiar people around them felt sorry for them or even criticized them for having such a mother. Apparently all that had a dramatic effect on Abby and so they decided to start fresh in a place where people didn't know them.

It wasn't hard finding Abby's mother's profile on Facebook but getting an old photo of her with Abby and her family together was another thing altogether. It seemed like she had deleted all of her old pictures online and so had Abby. But Lottie managed to find an old family photo of theirs on her dad's Facebook, where Abby's brother was only a baby.