20: Phone Sèx and Chinese Takeouts

Simply to Logan

unemotionally

••••••

"No, I don't think this color suits me," Tasha remarked after a while, observing herself in the mirror.

Meanwhile, I stood behind her in the crammed changing room, trying hard not to tear her apart with my bare hands. She'd been here at the store for at least twenty minutes and was making my life hell but I wasn't going to let her get the satisfaction so I continued to smile.

"Should I get you a darker color, then?" I asked, not adding that a dark shade might go well with her dark soul.

"I don't know," she responded. "Everything that you've gotten for me so far isn't good. Are you even trying?"

My smile wavered for a second and I almost said something unpleasant. Instead, I cleared my throat and apologized. "I'm sorry that you think that but that isn't my intention."

She glanced at my face in the mirror and smirked. "You sure?"

I nodded stiffly, hoping desperately that she'd leave soon.

"Take off my shoes," she said suddenly, making me frown.

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me. Shoes. Off."

"But w-"

"Now!"

My fists clenched and I stood my ground. Enough was enough. "I'm sorry," I said, keeping my voice even, "but I think you won't find what you're looking for in our store. Thank you for coming."

I turned around swiftly and left the changing room before she could say anything.

A concerned Yui met me at the front of the counter and I walked past her, outside the store. "I'm taking a break," I called out to her, just before I let the door shut.

I went up to the food court and ordered only a Mountain Dew. I sat there in one of the booths for a few minutes, sipping on my drink. I thought about my graduation which was in a few weeks and wondered if things would get better for me if I left school. I could get a new job, a better one where Tasha couldn't come to annoy me. I could start focusing on maybe a future career and my life.

What did I want to do with my life?

I didn't have any specialties or any particular interests that I wanted to pursue. If there was one thing that I was crazy about, it was makeup and I was seriously considering starting a makeup blog or something. Those were really popular at the moment and lots of people ended up making a fortune out of it.

There was Zoella and so many other people who had a major influence in the makeup industry.

Yeah.

I smiled at myself. I could do something that.

It wouldn't take off immediately, of course, but overtime, it could work and I could take up some sort of a job too.

I didn't see many other options for me because I wasn't smart or ambitious enough to get into college and I didn't want to either. I was done with books.

I stood up after a few more minutes and went back to the store, relieved to know that Tasha and her gang had left.

"Did you know them?" Yui asked as soon as I walked in.

"They're friends of mine from school," I replied.

"Didn't seem friendly with you at all," she mumbled.

I sighed, leaning against a clothing rack. "I was being sarcastic, Yui. They just came here to mess with me."

"I could see that. What if they come again?"

"I don't know," I responded, shrugging. "I guess I'll have to hold myself back from ripping out their intestines when they do show up again."

"Pleasant."

----

"I thought we could have Chinese tonight," my mom said, smiling at my stunned expression.

I stared at the takeout on the table, my stomach growling at the delicious smell. "But we hardly ever have good food."

"What do you mean by that?"

"Erm, I mean, uh, we hardly ever have food from outside."

"Uh huh, sure." My mom sat down from across me and shot me a glare to which I stuck out my tongue. "You know, I adore your cooking."

"Stop buttering me now and eat."

"Yes, ma'am."

"And after you're done, there are a few plates in the sink, wash them, will you?"

"Ah, I knew that there was going to be a catch."

The food was amazing and dinner that night wasn't as bad as the previous nights had been. Mom actually talked about her day and said that she was getting another raise soon. She seemed happy and even Mary yelped in happiness, bubbles oozing from her mouth.

When I went to the sink after dinner, I found a small rectangular box on the side. It was white in color and when I lifted the lid, I couldn't help but gasp.

"Oh my God."

Staring back at me was a shiny iPhone 6 and I kept looking at it, unable to believe it was actually there. It wasn't the latest model but I've never had anything as fancy.

"I hope you're grateful," my mother's voice came from behind me and I ran to hug her.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

"Whoa, easy," she said, hugging me back and holding me. "I'm not sure what happened with the last one but I hope that this one won't end up the same."

"It won't, I promise." I finally released her and went back to gently pick it up. It felt lighter than I expected and the best part was that it was so smooth. I traced my finger on the plastic covering on the screen and my smile widened. "I'll be able to resume phone sèx now."

My mother snorted at my comment, despite herself. "My gosh, how have I raised you?"

••••••