Chapter One: Prologue

Summary:

PROJECT WINTER SOLDIER - designed by Hydra, one man can make all the difference - or at least that was the idea. The reality? One man taken from his family, friends, lover and tortured into something he would abhor.

THE CONSTANT - the nurse abducted to look after him - who loves him but knows that one day she will have to let him go because if he is ever to be free then he will return to the love of his life - Steve Rogers.

                                                                                                  *

Bucky Barnes - As A Young Boy

This 1st chapter is to set the scene and is the Prologue.

The story then begins in the 2nd chapter when Bucky has just fallen from the train (in Captain America: The First Avenger).

                                                                                                   *

Brooklyn 1929 - 1941

They are complete opposites to look at.

The young boy is dark haired, and needs time to grow into his features - but he has a smile that could melt any girls' heart. He is the eldest of four brothers, and lives with his mother and father, Winifred and George. He is strong, good at sports, but not overly competitive. Well-built like his father. He is a realist, but likes to play the fool sometimes to hide his true feelings. He believes that there is good and evil in the world. He has a hard edge to him but it is not hard enough to protect him from all that will happen to him. His name is James Buchanan Barnes. Bucky.

James has not seen the true evil of the world yet.

But he will.

And the other one? He is Steven Grant Rogers. Steve. James calls him 'Kid'. Steve is blond, and has a smile that is shy but would warm anyone's heart. The mean-spirited bullies see it as a weakness. They are wrong. He has delicate, beautiful blue eyes framed by long lashes. Due to childhood illness he is short in stature and is far less muscular. His skin is almost translucent, and sometimes you would think the very wind is going to knock him down. He has no brothers or sisters, his father, Joseph, died when he was young. He lives alone with his mother, Sarah. This kid is an idealist, more serious-minded than his friend; he believes the world is good and there is such a naivety to him that you know life is going to deal some blows which will knock him hard.

So hard he may find it difficult to believe in things ever again.

The two of them are so different yet share so much in common in so many other ways. They are both intelligent, hard working, loyal, they are both as brave as lions, and neither will back down from a fight they believe in.

And they love each other, though they do not realise yet just how much.

After all you never realise how much someone means to you until you no longer have them.

James seems to always be pulling the Kid out of fights: doesn't matter if it is in the school yard or behind the local cinema, or (on occasion) even down at the docks. The blond will jump into a fight and welcome all comers but then get pummelled into the ground. He just does not have the physique that the older boys do.

James takes the Kid under his wing and drags him along to Goldies' Gym to see if he can put some meat on his bones. At least give him a fighting chance in life. He has never seen someone so skinny and small who courts fights the way this Kid does.