Chapter Sixty-One: The Lost Princess & Her Prince - A Day In Spring

The Lost Princess & Her Prince - A Day In Spring

The Lost Princess

Okay. You have an hour to do this. You can do it. You chant to yourself. You have a mission and you need to complete it before the Winter Soldier finishes his own and meets you back at the car.

You lock the car and pat your pocket to make sure that you have your phone. That way, if something goes haywire they can still contact you – and they won't have any idea that you have deviated slightly from the plan.

You cross the street and then walk up to the top of the road. As you had thought and hoped, the street you want appears before you. It has been paved over so no traffic can drive through it; it is just for the use of pedestrians and shoppers which is what you are.

You are still guessing at this point that you will be able to get what you want. The whole thing is guesswork.

The day is beautiful even though it is early Spring and you breathe in the clean fresh air. As you walk you begin to realise you had not thought this through. The shopping precinct is full of people and you are not keen on crowds. In the life you live, you see so few people.

Take a deep breath. You can do this.

As you walk, things begin to catch your eye. You had no idea that so many shops could exist. They are all crowded into one street, all bright and eager to show off their wares.

You pass what you would call a Barber, but these days they call themselves Hairdressers. The one you are now passing is called Tony's Hairdressers and there is a line of men waiting to have their hair cut, all looking at their phones whilst they wait. Everyone in this day and age seem to concentrate on their phones all the time even when out in public. Does anyone actually talk to each other face to face anymore you wonder? The one they gave you is able to make and receive telephone calls and text and that is all. You had asked Maggie why so many people stare at the small screens. Do they get that many texts? She laughed and shook her head.

"They have games on them as well," she said, and to show you she borrowed one from a technician who handed his over reluctantly. You found it interesting...but surely wouldn't it be boring after a few minutes? The technician was offended.

In the middle of the street there is a line of trees which have yet to bud, but you can feel that spring is in the air and around the trees are daffodils and crocuses. Such beautiful colours after the confines of the base and the white and grey of the mountains. The wind is cold but crisp and you bury your hands in your pockets.

You keep an eye on the time, but you have plenty of it and so you slow down and begin to look in the shop windows at all the clothes and items that can be purchased. There is a shop that sells books. Thousands of them. How you would love to go in and browse; the covers all look so inviting! Next there is a store that sells mens' clothing and you wish you could buy something for James.

What would he have liked? Fashion has changed so much during your time on this earth that neither of you would really have a clue what to buy.

Then you see the shop you want and you go up to the window to look in.

There are quite a few people in there. You turn to look around because it's so rare for you to be allowed out on your own you feel guilty. As though someone is watching you.

As you turn you notice a shop across the way and you feel yourself blush. You look around and then slowly walk over to the window, looking at the name of the shop Victoria's Secret...and what secrets it is showing! Women's underwear, but nothing like you wear. Beautiful, lacy, and so out of your realm but for a moment you allow yourself to feel envy for the women who can buy it and wear it for their loved ones. What would the Winter Soldier say if he saw you in it? For one crazy moment you actually find yourself working out if the emergency money you have on you would buy one of the sets on show and then you realise what you are doing and shake yourself.