Chapter Thirty-Seven: Hydra - Lehmann and Jakobs - The Decision

Hydra - Lehmann and Jakobs - The Decision

Doctor Eric Jakobs watches himself fix his bow tie in the mirror. He looks at himself. There is grey in his hair, he has missed a spot shaving, and his suit has seen better days...he has seen better days. He is getting old.

He looks down at the photograph on the sideboard; it shows a youngish woman and two children sat on a picnic blanket, their smiles wide and laughing. It is the only photograph he has left of his family.

He remembers the day it was taken so well. It had been his son's thirteenth birthday and they had driven out to the country to celebrate. They had bought him a kite. Not just any kite, but one so colourful that when they saw it flying it looked like a beautiful, mysterious insect. His daughter, who had been eleven, had run along beside him laughing.

He can see that picture so vividly in his mind.

His wife had called to them; she had laid out a blanket and they had eaten sandwiches, pickles, and birthday cake. The children drank fruit juice; him and his wife, wine. The sun was warm but comfortable. Afterwards he sat with her whilst they watched their children playing. They were so blessed, everything was right with the world.

His son had not lived to fourteen, and all of his family were now buried but not forgotten. He would never forget them.

His eyes smart and he looks away, finishes dressing. He has a meeting with Director Lehmann – well, not just him personally; they all have a meeting. It is to do with the new facility.

He meets Stefan on the way and when they take a seat they realise that Marinov has been invited too. That is good news: clearly, he is to go with them.

Lehmann enters with Jocelyn. She sits herself in the corner to take the minutes. Everyone but Jakobs was surprised when he had appointed her his secretary, but Jakobs knew that Lehmann had intended to replace Freya with her. After the failed 'mission', that idea had been scrapped and she had remained as his secretary instead. To give her her due, she seemed to be settling into the role well.

Marinov catches Jakobs eye and nods to acknowledge him.

There were fifteen of them around the table: heads of departments and their assistants; all the people who would follow Lehmann to the new complex, their teams to follow. In the middle of the conference table was a mock up of the new camp. It was impressive.

Half an hour later a full detailed account has been given of the new facility, and it is frightening. Project Winter Soldier is just a small part of it. The camp is being set up to train and run STRIKE Units. They will be sold to governments as anti-terrorist teams; STRIKE meaning 'Special Tactical Reserves for International Key Emergencies'. But all the personnel will be loyal to Hydra. These teams will infiltrate and work with foreign governments so that one day Hydra will truly be everywhere, and when that day comes they will rise up and destroy anyone who stands against them.

Lehmann is an excellent liar and an actor.

What most of the people sat around the table with him do not know is that they will never get to the new facility. He will be replacing them all.

They will never leave this complex.

When he begins his new regime he wants loyal subjects around him, not docile servants. He also does not want a record of his part in making the Winter Soldier; oh, he doesn't mind the glory but some of what he did will look troubling and he will not have that stain on his record. He will re-create the history of the project and those who know the truth will not be there to correct it.