Chapter 2

-
-
-
-

"Rise and shine, rats!" A male officer I hadn't seen yesterday, screams. The tired women around me quickly open their eyes, expressing their immense fear immediately after waking. What an incredible way to wake up, you are stripped of your humanity one day and scared awake the next.

"Today's going to be a great day!" He sarcastically exclaims, grinning. He began to scan the entire room so everyone could have their fair share of fear in the morning.

A group of soldiers wearing the basic beige nazi uniform, decorated with the swastika in multiple places, marches up and down the isles. We are quickly given our breakfast, which was only a palm-sized piece of bread and a minuscule cup of coffee to wake us up.

"Eat up!" A shorter soldier yells, with his bulbous nose pointed up and a pompous look on his face. I clenched my teeth, oh how I wanted to punch that ridiculous expression off of his mug.

I ate as quickly as I could, not missing a single drop of coffee or crumb of bread. None of us knew when we would eat again, and I heard on the radio many of the camps were starving their prisoners to death.

"The clothing you are wearing will be what you continue to wear while you work" the captain explains; holding onto a young women by the shoulders that he had plucked from the beds. The jail-like frock has the Star of David on the top so we were easily identified.

I look down at my frock and see some cringe worthy stains on it. It looked like it may have been used. An attractive younger soldier walks up to me and gently takes my cup from me. He turns the corner of his mouth up quickly, trying to soften his appearance.

"Thanks" I annoyingly say through gritted teeth and roll my eyes at him. I don't need his grin.

He frowns and walks back up to the front of the room with all the other soldiers. They made a menacing line in the front of the room, like a pack of wolves hunting their prey. Even their eyes looked hungry and soulless.

"Stand up straight!" The Captain whips the woman who was standing in front of him with his large leather glove. Her breath hitches as she holds in the sting.

All the women straightened their posture, the sound of realignment was heard throughout the room. This was an intimidation game that they were winning, we had no power and it made us accept our weakness.

The terrifying Captain shoves the young woman back into line beside the bunk beds with the rest of us. She looks around at all our faces before turning back to the Captain.

"I'm Captain Holt, and what I say goes. If you disobey me you will wish you were dead!" He screams, frightening me and all the other woman. We all nod quickly without hesitation.

"Every 20 women are assigned one soldier, you will do what they say at all times," he explains.

"When I call your name, step forward"

I take a deep breath in.

"Analyssa Smithe!" He calls. "Gräce Tobby!" Another woman walks up.

He calls out 19 names, then finally calls mine.

"Marie Margaret Shultz!" I sigh, I raise my head up, not wanted to show any cowardice in front of these pigs. I walk up to my group.

"You twenty are assigned to Mr. Angle" Mr. Angle was the soldier who smiled at me, great.

All groups were sent to do different jobs; ours was to retrieve fruit for the soldiers

"Here we are ladies, start collecting fruit," he says, pointing to a pile of baskets that I'm assuming he wants us to retrieve the fruit in.

Since there were only 20 of us we were very spaced out across the giant field, we couldn't communicate without screaming. I'm guessing that was the point.

Mr. Angle walks up and down each aisle, with his hands behind his back and head tilted up. He was checking up on us to make sure we weren't stealing anything.

"Hello, Marie" he startles me from my thoughts.

"Hello, sir" I didn't look back at him, he disgusts me.

"You are doing a great job" he praises me like a child and smiles as if he was sincere, which would be impossible for someone like him.

"What do you want? To mock me?" I question, his face softens as he kneels down beside me.

"No, I'm not" is all he says? I huff and turn my face the other way. I continue working in the hot sun trying to ignore his presence. I had work to do, and I will not let him distract me.

"Don't use that attitude around Captain Holt, he won't be as understanding as I am." He gets up and walks away from me.

Even if he had beaten me, I wouldn't have cared.

-
-

When we were done picking fruit it was time to eat dinner, which was terrible. We had soup and bread with a cup of water, I was right to have scarfed back my breakfast.

I was relieved to be able to rest my feet, even on our hard wooden 'beds' it felt like paradise. I am so sore and sunburnt and it's only the first day of work.

I can only imagine what we have in store for tomorrow.

--------------------

Please remember to vote, comment or follow... If you want to of course.

~Poppy

<3