Chapter 19

Is this for real? Yes! Hope you enjoy!!
-
Toby found a desk for me to work at and explained what my job was, he helped me for the first bit so I knew how to perform the different duties. I was to answer the phone for Captain Holt, schedule appointments for Captain Holt, go to meetings for Captain Holt, fill out documents, give him messages etc.. I was his personal secretary.

Although this seemed like a bad idea at first, I looked at the pros and cons, I was getting paid well and was safe from any concentration camps, permanently. I seemed to be good at my job, and got praised for being efficient. I was one of the few women who worked here, most of which were secretaries.

After being here for a few days I soon realized I had minimal contact with Holt, maybe it was because he so happened to be busier than usual these past few days. But I was rather enjoying myself, I've even come to like Toby and think of him as a good friend.

As I stand from my desk to send a letter, Toby walks in to my small office, that was conveniently located beside Captain Holt's.

"Where are you off to?" He smiles and takes his hat off, showing me his luscious blonde hair. He holds his hat to his chest and waits for my response.

"I have to send this letter off, care to join me?" I ask, casually walking past him into the hallway. He catches up to me and hooks his arm around mine. We walk together until we reach the mailroom, which is used to send mail back and forth.

"Some lads and I are going out to get a drink at 8, would you like to accompany me?" He asks, now holding his hat behind his back, he slightly leans forward to get closer to me.

"Of course" I respond with a toothy smile, I think it can only benefit me at this point.

Toby comically bows in front of me and bounces out of the room, I shake my head and send off the letter. I haven't been 'out' in so long, I can't wait to actually be in a building without the dreaded swastika staring back at me.

I wonder what lads he's bringing along, I hope they don't question me either. I just want to let off steam and have a few drinks, anything to momentarily forget about my situation.

As the day goes on, I complete all my tasks, I think I'm given the easy jobs since I'm a woman. Everyday they seem to give me a bit more to do, almost testing my capabilities.

I pack my very little belongings and head out of the office. I leave the main building, which was large and intimidating. The whole area was surrounded by barbed wire fences and you needed I.D to enter and leave the building. I approach the gate and hand the security officer my card, he nods and carefully watches me walk out of the compounds.

I lived right beside the building, it was reserved for people who worked there. I shared a small apartment with three other secretaries, although I rarely spoke with them. I never seem to have anything in common with them.

It was dusk and the street lights were starting to be visible, making me hurry home. I rush to the door and push it open, it makes a low squeak. My home was not comfortable nor welcoming for me, it felt as though it was missing something... Or someone.

I trudge over to my bedroom and open my armoire, pulling out a simple black skirt and white top. I undress and put on the new garments, topping it off with my favourite red lipstick and red pumps. I walk back to my dinning room and sit at the table, waiting for Toby to arrive.

I glance up at the antique clock and read the time, 7:23. My mind wanders as I wait in silence, something I was always terrified to do. I begin to wonder where my Bernard was and even where Marcus was. Maybe I could find out tomorrow, I know the office has loads of information.

My eyes start to get heavy but I fight to keep them open. I win the battle, which just left me feeling groggy. Was going out such a great idea? Instead of nodding off, I quickly stand from my chair and make my way over to the counter. I make some coffee as fast as I could so I at least had a chance of staying awake.

My lips lightly hover over the rim of the cup, I blow gently before taking a small sip. I close my eyes and enjoy the oddly delicious drink. I had only started to enjoy coffee recently. Working in an office has showed me the wonders it can do.

I reach for a book that was placed on the counter, it must have been Sarah's. She was the only other female who cares for reading like I did. She wanted to become a doctor, but knew it was practically impossible. Instead of wasting time on finding a husband or improving her cooking skills, she improved her writing skills. She did the exact opposite of what everyone wanted her to do. I envied her care-free lifestyle, if only I had the choice.

I open the book and a small note falls to the floor, I was hesitant at looking at it but my curiosity got the best of me.

"Judge Micael, 4:25 pm" the note read, I returned the note to its place and left the book in the same spot. It wasn't my business, but if she was meeting a judge I would have to wonder why.

My mind wonders about the note and distracts me from sleeping. It keeps me occupied until Toby comes to get me.