Chapter 11

-
--
---
----
-----
------
-------
------
-----
----
---
--
-
I wake up to a snoring Bernard in his usual spot, a wooden office chair across from me. He must have moved.

I role over and look at the antique clock above the fireplace, it's 5:23

I let out a giant sigh and stand up from the bed, waking Bernard in the process

"Marie" he rubs his eyes and stares at me, followed by a large, full bodied stretch.

"I have to get ready to leave" I break the awkward silence

Bernard frowns and anger fills his eyes, but the anger was directed at Captain Holt. He stands up quickly from his chair and helps me change into a new dress that Captain Holt left me. It was waiting at the door when I woke up.

It was black and lacy, it had a plunging neckline that was way too revealing for my taste.

Once I finished brushing my hair I turned around to face Bernard. Fear clearly emitting from my eyes. Bernard notices and moves towards me.

"I'll come with you" he states, gently grabbing my arms and slowly bringing his hands to hold with mine.

"No, something might happen to you" I look down at our intertwined hands, we seemed to fit perfectly.

Holt could kill him, I can't let that happen. He's the only thing keeping me from going insane. I quickly frown but he tilts my chin up with his index finger and thumb. Trying to reassure me with his fake smile, I whimper.

"I'm a big boy, Marie. I can help myself" I struggle to keep my tears in and let a rogue one slide down my cheek. He immediately wipes it away, with no hesitation.

"No, you will not cry for me" he demands and pauses, taking a shaky breath in.

"Marie, you know I want to help you" he admits again, I don't understand his obsession, or passion for wanting to help me. What was it about me?

"Just don't cry, please. I hate seeing you cry" that just made me sob even more!

"I know" I laugh and cry at the same time. I watch a smile slowly form on his lips

"It's just, you're all I have left. My friends and most likely my family are gone" he stops me by hesitantly kissing me. Was he afraid to kiss me? He pulls away but keeps his eyes on me. I observe his expression and slowly relax under his stare. He seems to have that effect on me, something only few people could do.

No matter if he was nervous of kissing me, he really did mean a lot to me. He means more than he will ever know... Maybe it's because I'm going crazy here, but I truly think I care for him. I can feel it.

-------------

We both arrive at Captain Holt's office door, I let out a nervous breath and knock on the door lightly, awaiting a response

"Come in!" He yells, I slowly open the door.

He was sitting behind his desk writing something down then looked up from his work

"Mr. Angle, how nice to see you, may I be of assistance? or were you just leaving.." He says with a passive aggressive tone.

"I thought I would stay here and...chat?" Bernard cautiously asks, his tone laced with nervousness

Captain Holt grins, this could only mean something bad

"Actually I have a great job for you" he excitedly says. His grin began to grow wider, something I didn't think possible.