Frostbite

Wilson stared with blank eyes at the slowly darkening sky, cold stone and ice pressing against his sore body as he layed down to die.

   Hunger ripped through his abdomen in painful waves. How long had it been since he'd tasted anything other than the acid rising in his throat? Or the blood that dripped from his cracked lips?

   It had taken one attack from the Hounds. One. Those hateful mutts had ripped his camp to shreds, eating every scrap of food he had.

   If that hadn't been enough, he'd gotten lost in the white snow of winter. The endless, blank terrain had led him to nowhere and nothing.

   Nothing but death, that is. Wilson thought bitterly. The cold seemed to seep into his very bones, but he had long gone numb from hunger. It wouldn't be very long now.

   The place would have been beautiful, had it not been his tomb. His battered body had dyed the snow a deep red, like a single, wilting rose in a field of chalky flowers. Wilson let his eyes droop shut, and accepted the encroaching darkness.

    There was a crunch somewhere out in the forest near him. An animal, perhaps, that would finish him off before nature did. Wilson didn't stir. He couldn't have moved if he wanted to.

    There was a gasp, something no mere beast could make, and Wilson felt hands slide under his tender shoulders and knees. His head lolled like a ragdoll's, before it was cradled by gentle fingers.

   "You're going to be okay, buddy." Came someone's rasp. "Just stay with me. Please..."

   The man was beyond words, beyond coherence, but he managed to shift slightly, as the other's warmth brought life to his frostbit hands. He felt his heart pick up pace, felt his blood quicken.

   His savior was so warm. So warm.