Flowers

The fire caused Wilson great discomfort, so he lurked in the shadows as you tossed a few logs on the burnpit. You looked exhausted, and sat down on one of the larger ones.

   "Alright. Let's get talking."

   "I say we at least try." Wilson pressed, figiting with the end of his newly washed vest. "Don't get me wrong, I hate that guy, but if the shadows take over we're in for it too."

   You sighed, softly poking the hearth. "You're right, but... All out war with Demons? And you're in the middle of it?" Your voice cracked at the thought of the things hurting Wilson. "I-I just don't like it. What if he's trying to set us up for failure?"

   "Then we fail, and gain nothing." The scientist-turn-shade gave you a hard stare, determination lighting his dark blue. "If we try and win, we gain everything. Think of it, (y/n), anything we want. We could change the world!"

   You shook your head, a tired sigh escaping you. "What if I don't want to change it? What if I just want to stay here... with you?"

   This caught the man off guard, Wilson nearly falling over. He caught himself, and his stern look dissolved into tenderness. "Then we can stay here. Together. Either way, we gain nothing by doing nothing.

   "Wilson," came your soft whisper, after a while of silence. "When you were a Shadow, you said something. Something about me. Did you mean it?"

   His cheeks colored, "W-w-what did I say? Oh Science, I hope it wasn't something-"

   "That you loved me. It's stupid, I know, but-"

   "No!" Wilson shouted, but paled as your face fell. "I mean, no, it's not stupid! (Y-y/n), I think you're so kind and brave. Everyone I've ever met has tried their best to forget me, but you've always given me support and encouragement. Even though we haven't known each other for long, I find myself wanting to stay in this wretched place, if it means being by your side... if wanting to stay with someone forever is love, then... I-I-I love you!"

   "Wilson, I..."

   You thought for a moment, trying to think of what to say. He was everything you never had, someone kind, loving, and gentle. You set your jaw, and moved to his side, grabbing his shirt collar.

   "I don't need words!"

   You kissed him, long and deep, as the man melted into it as if you were made for each other. Eventually, you landed into a tangled heap of scientist and (y/n), smiling against each other's lips.

   "I love you too, Wilson. You're everything I ever wanted. If it means staying together, if it means fighting an army of shadows for you, then I will. We can tell Maxwell that we'll do what he wants."

   "Together."

   "Right. Together."