Carry on

"We'll start out slow." Maxwell had said, "Wilson will transform into a Shadow, and follow them to  wherever they go at night."

    You watched as Wilson became his dark incarnation, his entire body shrouded in shadow. Instantly, he ceased to act like your lover and became almost predatory in his movements, his empty eyes staring after everything that moved.

   You rubbed a hand on his forehead like you would for a pet, and kissed his icy skin. "Please be careful," you murmured, "You're all I got."

   "W̥͝īḷ̀ş̳o̹̽͜n c͌o̭̍͢m͏e̠͋ ̖͢b̤a̙c̍͜k̷͚ t̵̯o̚ ̀҉(y̞͛/ͫ̕n͘)̗." The shade promised. "l̨̫o͑v̯ͫe̮ ͔͌(̂̕y̩/̫ͮn͎͑)."

   You nodded, bravery covering your fear, as Wilson turned and dissapeared into the pine forest.

   "Next, I'll teach (y/n) how to use the Wish Orb."

   "Evening, miss/mister (y/n)."

   You dipped your head in greeting to Maxwell, who stepped out of a worm hole with sphere in hand. "S'up, old man?"

   The demon scowled. "Hey, I resent that statement!"

   "I know. That's why I use it."

   Maxwell sighed as you gave him a smirk. "Barbaric."

   Even still, he placed the smooth orb in your hand. It immediately captured your attention, filling your head with soothing whispers and the uncontrollable urge to bash someone's head in.

   Maxwell snapped his fingers, causing you to look up from the bewitching globe. "Don't look at it directly." He instructed. "Greed will take you over."

   "What even is this thing?" You inquired.

   "It's known as the Wish Orb." He returned, "It can give you anything you want, but it'll cost you some Sanity."

   You recoiled from the Wish Orb, the thought of loosing your mind quite unappealing. "Uh, and I'm using this why?"

   Maxwell groaned. "You mortals and your mind! Sanity is overrated, but if you're so worried..."

   The demon reached into his pocket, and grabbed a something that thrashed in his grasp. He dropped it into your hand.

   "What the hell is this?!"

   "It's called nightmare fuel. You can sacrifice it instead of sanity."

    You cringed, but grudgingly accepted the stuff. Maxwell nodded in approval.

    "Now," He began, "wish for something. Really concentrate. Feel it, make it come into- Jimeny Cricket!"

    You had summoned a pair of wings, and they stretched and rippled in the sunlight as if they had been a part of you your entire life. Maxwell took a step back, gazing at you in suprize as you flexed and smirked.

   "Holy hells, does this mean I can fly?" You asked enthusiastically, "Dude, this is amazing!"

   Maxwell snatched the orb from you instantly, your wings disappearing in a thick cloud of smoke.

   "Are you insane?!" He barked, "You could have killed yourself! You never wish for your body to be changed in any way. The things you get are pure shadow, you just willingly agreed to house evil within your body!"

   "Oh." You said, "You coulda told me that before you gave me the all powerful Wish Orb. I've always wanted to fly."

   "It might be tempting, but it's best to refrain from self-altering wishes." The demon took a deep breath, rubbing his temples. "But at least you don't seem to have a hard time summoning things..."

   You beamed. "I have a very active imagination. It's not that different from LARPing!"

   "LA-what-now?"

   "Nothing. I forgot you were from like, the 1800's."

   Maxwell scowled, but returned the orb to your waiting hands. "Why don't you try something less guaranteed to backfire, like a sword?"

   This made you smile. "A sword, hmm? Any sword I want?"

   "As long as it's not attached to you, than yes."

   When it appeared, you could barely hold it. The sword was nearly as big as you were, made of inky black steel, with a huge dragon carved into the hilt. You swung it around, barely managing to avoid slicing Maxwell's head off. The demon took a few steps backwards and paled.

   "That... is a very big sword." He observed.

   "Thank you for noticing!"

   Maxwell sighed. "At least it's something. Now if you really want a challenge, try making something small and finely detailed. Most people 'gifted' in magic can make a huge dragon-sword, but not many can refine their power."

   You closed your eyes for this on, concentrating deeply as you imagined a set of daggers with gorgeous, intricate carvings. When you felt their wieght in you hands, you saw that they were horribly misshapen and larger than you wished them to be.

   Maxwell clicked his tongue. "Just as I thought. Miss/Mister
(Y/n), you have a powerful mind, but not much experience honing it. Swinging around a giant sword won't stop an agile Shade, it'll dodge easily. You need to set intricate traps, deadly sneak attacks, and plan ambushes. Like chess."

   "I was never any good at chess," came your protest. "Look, maybe Wilson should take this role, and I'll spy on-"

   Maxwell stopped you a little too quickly, "No! You can't! I-I-I can help you learn, I've had an eternity to strategize."

   You blinked, suprized at his sudden outburst. It was almost as if he was concerned. "And why not? I could probably lie better than Wilson. He's too honest for under cover work."

   "You are not going to interact with those damnable creatures," The demon growled, "And that is final."

   Maxwell straightened, realizing that he had snapped. He readjusted his tie, and stared at you with dull eyes.

   "Wilson isn't able to use the orb like you can." The man informed you, his voice cool. "Your aura is simply... more attuned to the darkness."

   You frowned. "That just makes no fucking sense. He's literally a shade, I wound think think that he'd be pretty comfortable with shadow magic."

   "(Y/n), I know what I'm talking about, and you don't." Maxwell bit out, "trust me."

   You didn't buy one word, but eventually shrugged it off. If Maxwell wanted to have some weird secret, then you'd let him have it.

   "Whatever, old man."

  Maxwell nodded. "Thank you. Now you practice using the Orb, and I'll go. I have to check on something anyways."

  The dapper demon dissapeared, and left you with nothing but the wild to keep you company. You scowled. What was he hiding?