Selfish

Shion's POV

Nezumi? Are you still there?

No response. 

Hey, Nezumi?! Answer me!

No response.  I no longer feel the connection we had a few moments ago when we could telepathically talk to each other through our minds. 

"Hey, are you okay?" Inukashi asks as she slides herself closer to me, worry in her eyes.

"Yeah, I think I'm fine," I answer. After when I had heard Nezumi's voice calling to me, I had freaked out and started yelling Nezumi's name before Rikiga and Inukashi convinced me to sit down. Their voices were asking and asking and asking me about what was wrong, but I couldn't explain the situation to them. I mean, who can? They'd honestly think you've gone insane, especially with your mother on the bed in the hospital. Now add hearing things that aren't actually there? And especially because you can communicate with the voice? They'd think you've finally lost it and gone mad. 

"Are you sure you're fine? You can go home for the day if you want; I'll come get you if something comes up." Inukashi runs her fingers through little Shion's head and looks toward the door leading to my mother. 

"Are you sure? I don't want you to stay here for longer than you have to. I'm sure Shion would want to go home soon, too," I say to Inukashi but she just brushes me off.

"It's okay. I think you need more rest than the rest of us really do, I don't mind staying here for a bit longer," Inukashi looks down to meet little Shion's gaze, "you don't mind either, right?"

"Of course not! I like Shion," little Shion said as he gave me a big smile before cuddled into Inukashi's arms even more.

"Thanks, I owe you guys a lot," I say as I turn to Rikiga. "Can you stay with Inukashi? I know I'm asking for a lot right now, but I'm sure Inukashi wouldn't mind some company, or at least someone to help take care of little Shion."

Rikiga puts a hand on his waist before using his other to pull off his hat and wiping off some sweat. He gives me a small smile before agreeing to stay, "Sure, but I'm only doing this for you and Karen."

I respond his smile with one of my own, but in more of a scolding way. "I know you and Inukashi don't really get along but come on, she's not that bad!"

"I don't like her attitude!" Rikiga says before plopping down on the chair beside me.

"You better say sorry to her or else I won't let you see my mother ever again," I try threatening Rikiga. I know Rikiga cares about my mother a lot, and I know that doing that is just low, but he really needs to say sorry to Inukashi. "Plus, I like her attitude. Without it, we'd never have gotten this far."

Rikiga gives me a troubled look and starts to open his mouth to probably apologize, but Inukashi cuts him off before he makes a sound. 

"I don't need you to help me force this guy to like me or whatever, I don't need his opinion about me," Inukashi simply says before looking back at Shion who start to wrap his arms around Inukashi's neck. 

"You see? This is why I don't like her!" Rikiga complains before trying to move a little bit further away from Inukashi. 

"You guys are helpless," I say before getting up and preparing to leave. "I'm gonna go home for now, I think sleep would do me more good than being around you guys-not to be offensive or anything, it's just really tiresome right now." 

"It's okay, we don't care if you find us annoying. I'm surprised you still talk to us even though we annoy the heck outta you," Rikiga says before laughing.