Worry

Shion's POV

Sand crunches under my foot as I take steps after steps on the dry yellow soil. Places outside of No.6 are still lacking vegetation since it isn't regularly maintained. The soils outside the broken wall isn't healthy and isn't suitable for plants to live, so it definitely lacks greenery.

I was working on a project to expand the vegetation areas all the way outside of the city so more life can be grown, but some of the authorities refused to take in the project because they thought it was useless.

I'm not surprised that still no one cares about the places outside of the wall, but it still gets me pretty pissed off every time when they refuse to expand our agriculture and vegetation.

But the city is getting somewhat better. Everything is made up of recyclables, and anything that are not compostables and recyclables are prohibited to be manufactured since it harms the environment in which we live in. Water is also filtered and reused since there are pretty limited water resources that are nearby No.6 that is drinkable.

Of course, there are still many black markets that sell stuff that are basically garbage that is harmful to the environment. They claim those materials to he needs and not wants, so they refuse to get rid of them. I'm not surprised a god number of citizens still refuse to follow the only recyclables and compostables rule since it is newly established.

I'm doing all of this for the Blocks. The West Block had been receiving all the garbage that had been thrown out from the city, so I'm trying my best to keep garbage and contaminated water out of our city.

I had tried to get all the people that had been living outside of the city to go inside and start living in the city, but many refused to move in since they still think the city is rotten. I don't blame them though. Through all of things they've gotten through... I'm not surprised they don't want to be in the "holy city".

I open the door to the underground room which Nezumi and I used to live in and step in. As I light the candles and lamp, I hear small and quiet footsteps running around the room. Tsukiyo then run and crawl up my legs, around my body and perch on my white hair.

I never decided to dye my hair in the end. The colour of my hair, the scar at the base of my neck, and the snake that wraps around my body, they are reminders that I escaped death. They're reminders that Nezumi was once here, by my side. They are reminders that I am the victor of a fight.

I lie on the bed, staring up at the ceiling covered with mold. The room is regularly cleaned because Inukashi sometimes comes here to clean it and play with little Shion, and I sometimes come to help.

This room is filled with memories of when Nezumi was still here, and it still pains me dearly that I cannot hold him.

After a while of reading stories to Tsukiyo left on the shelves, I leave the room to walk around the West Block.

Everything still seems relatively the same as two years ago, but things definitely are a lot cleaner. There are no longer dead bodies lying around everywhere since someone would always call authorities from inside the city to clean them up. The water here now is cleaner than it used to be because there is a filtering system in the gates the water goes through before it reaches the stream down to the West Block. There is a relatively small piece of land on the south of the West Block where agriculture is being produced so their produce is always relatively fresh.